• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the best inexpensive powder thrower.

That's what I have now. It's not that bad but I like my throws to be dead on at least 50 percent on the time. I have to add or subtract from each load now. There has to be a better device. I weigh my projectiles and separate them and my powder throws are dead on each time. So that's a bit anal for some but that's just me. The lee isn't a complete piece of crap but it is kind of cheaply made. I just want a little better measure. 100 bucks isn't to much to spend for a little better results.

IMO until you get to the Autotrickler price point the other ones won't be to much better. I have to have my loads dead on all the time, that's why its easier to set .2 low and trickle the last .2. I had the RCBS and Reddings and had to add or remove with those as well.

I don't know what happened but it would adj. I think it was jammed with a piece of bar type powder. It's working now again. You way of doing it sounds good. I might just try that for a while. It really doesn't take that much time to trickle a 10th or so.

Well, there is a difference between the Lee Perfect Powder Measure (PPM) and the Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure (AD).
The PPM was made primarily for rifle loading, the AD primarily for pistol loading. I do not have a PPM, but I believe that it is a "Drum-Type" measure, while the AD employs a "Disk" with holes in it that correspond to volumes. They are really two different animals!

I have had several "Drum-Type" measures, and currently, have a Hornady that came with my AP Press ... Although it isn't a "cheap" date, it requires too much set-up for me to use it other than for dedicated application. I prefer the Auto-Disk for its ease of change-over to other powders and loads!

Be aware that some powders simply refuse to "meter" well and, with current technology for cheaper powder measures, will never measure consistently. So, when you buy something like Varget ... expect it along with almost all "stick" powders, they will not "meter" well!

well gosh!
IF you want cheap, accurate, you weight every load anyway and speed is not a concern well--- why not just use a dipper system?
either buy a set of Lee Dippers or make you some custom ones for the weight , caliber ,powder that you are using. dippers were used for a long time, they are still used by many and they work fine in your situation.

I have one but I don't want to go full on Neanderthal. I will just keep using what I have for now if none of the others are going to be any better. I am just going to stick with what REDX is doing. Just adjust a hair under and trickle a bit in. If I angle the trickle over the powder hopper and get it good and full all it takes is a single turn or so to bring it up weight.

I have found that some powders, which do not meter well, may actually be more forgiving of errors than powders that do meter well. Thus creating a conundrum of sorts: use powder that meters well but is otherwise finicky or powder that shoots well but meters poorly.

For my best effort loads, I use a LEE Pefect Powder Measure set a tad low for a given charge and then add powder on the scale. For hunting loads or 100yard plinking stuff, I load them up on a Dillon. Most of my rifle reloads are with Varget, AA4350, W748, or W760. Varget and 4350 seem very insensitive to powder charge variation.

I think any of the Red, Green, Blue, or Orange powder dispensers will give you your money’s worth.

I have found that some powders, which do not meter well, may actually be more forgiving of errors than powders that do meter well. Thus creating a conundrum of sorts: use powder that meters well but is otherwise finicky or powder that shoots well but meters poorly.

For my best effort loads, I use a LEE Pefect Powder Measure set a tad low for a given charge and then add powder on the scale. For hunting loads or 100yard plinking stuff, I load them up on a Dillon. Most of my rifle reloads are with Varget, AA4350, W748, or W760. Varget and 4350 seem very insensitive to powder charge variation.

I think any of the Red, Green, Blue, or Orange powder dispensers will give you your money’s worth.

Good advice!

Heck, 40+ years ago when I first started reloading, powder measures were not commonly used as they were really finicky (even more so) back then! Remember: Click the attached hammer one-two-three times before pulling the charging handle; be absolutely consistent and you will average +/- 0.3 Grain accuracy!

I started with a Lee Handloader where you (literally) beat the round into/out of the sizing die with a plastic hammer! The load was measured with a dipper ... and even with these "cave-man" tools, the results were always very good, almost as good as I do today with modern equipment. Back then, and today as well, I could completely cover my 10-yard pistol load shots with a silver-dollar (from a sandbag rest). The results being dependent more on my lack of shooting skills than the firearm or load!

Using powders that are insensitive to minor powder charge variations is something everyone should consider. Personally, I favor such powders, as well as those that tend to fill the case; this to assure that I don't experience "Squib" or "OverCharges" ... both of which can ruin your day! Utilizing everything possible to achieve SAFE, repeatedly dependable, and (acceptable) accurate loads have always been my goal!

Obviously, competition or hunting loads should be as accurate as you can make them. So, investing the time to trickle charge them is a good investment in time!

Again, my favorite powder measure is the Lee Auto-Disk (I have 4 of them) which I use for .32 ACP, 9 mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .223, and .308 all in my Lee Classic Turret Press, as well a some of the calibers in my Hornady LNL-AP.

Wife got me a Lee Perfect Powder measure recently and it has done the job well so far. Using H110 in it currently and after a few “break in” throws it measures pretty consistently.

Back
Top Bottom