• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the best inexpensive powder thrower.

I load on a progressive Dillon 550b. It came with its own measure which I use for rifles and large volume pistols. I did get a Lee Autodisk Pro kit and it has become my favorite for pistol loading on the Dillon for charges less than about 20 grains or so. You do have to have the Lee powder thru die for the given cartridge however. It seems to me to be more precise than the Dillon measure. I upgraded the Autodisk with the micrometer adjustment bar which replaces the disk and it is awesome. You write down the micrometer amount with your load data and be practically dead on the next time you load and it is extremely consistent to boot. I have the double disk kit for heavier charges but have yet to use it.

I bought a Lee perfect power measure for when I was loading buck shot and it works ok for that, but when I tried to use it for rifle cartridges, it didn't seem consistent enough, seemed too jerky and like it cut the powder with a lot sticking when you turned the drum, maybe it needs to be broken in or something as I haven't used it much. It is sufficient for dropping low and then trickling up though.

If you have a Dillon, I highly recommend a Lee auto disk with the adjustable bar for pistol cartridges. Just easier to setup, adjust, repeat, and is very accurate.

Rosewood

Notes on "Breaking In: a New Powder Measure:

I normally clean the powder-thru (All Metal) portion with Brake Cleaner, then rub the interior down with powdered graphite.
I then rub down the interior parts of the plastic parts with graphite powder.

Many recommend rubbing down with dryer sheets, but I've found that the powdered graphite is a permanent solution that never needs repeating.

BTW: Hornady has a product called "One-Shot" that they recommend for cleaning "Anything" having to do with dies or firearm internals. It apparently contains a small amount of "non-petroleum" lube that will "linger" after the propellant has flushed out debris and fouling ... I've used it to "de-grease" new die sets (before a graphite powder rub down"), and pistol firing mechanisms; and found that it really does a good job!

Back
Top Bottom