• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the law on shipping a....

Without a face-to-face meeting, how do you know you're selling to an adult?
14 year old boys sometimes try to buy guns online, in private party sales.
Without checking the buyer's ID, how do you know the buyer is actually a resident of GA?
How do you know he's not a resident of New York, and his college roommate who lives in GA is allowing him to use his GA address for this purpose?

I've shipped pistols to fellow residents of Georgia. They send me a copy of their driver's license, I ship the gun to the name and address on the driver's license, with a signature required (which the shipper's tariffs require any way.)

No different that a FTF, just don't have the FTF.

As a footnote, I just renewed my Ga. Driver's license for 8 years. That means for the next 8 years, I can "prove" that I'm a Ga. resident, no matter where the hell I may actually reside.

If you just didn't tell them it was a handgun and shipped it ground I don't believe you would be breaking any laws but you run the risk of completely loosing out if it's damaged lost or stolen.

Shipping an item by common carrier in violation of the carrier's published tariffs (rules for shipping) is a violation of federal law, above and beyond any laws relating to specific transfer requirements of the item shipped.

That's why the often quoted advice to ship a gun, and list it as "machine parts" is really bad advice.

I'm not following you. Why would I tell you it's not my responsibility?
In mail order or online sales often a douchebag seller who a.) cannot be bothered to pack your items carefully or b.) does not offer insurance & tracking or keeps you money without actually buying insurance or c.) knows the item is damaged BEFORE they ship it, or d.) has no intention of shipping you the item you paid for, will use this line in their TOS (Terms of Sale). With firearms it's a little more sticky I think. In any case, I've always insured everything I send, either "self insured" or I charge the customer $2.00, no matter what the item's value. The rest I pay for as I think it's my responsibility to actually get the item intact to the buyer, even if I use a commercial carrier. I've sold items online for as little as $5.00 (a long time ago) and as much as $32,000 and shipped them without issues mostly via USPS. Never a problem with long guns at USPS, only a pistol once at a Fedex location in Chicago (I don't do Fedex). Over the past 18 years I've had one instance of a buyer trying to commit fraud (they wouldn't take the "damaged" item to the PO for an inspection so I could complete my claim) and one actual claim for real damage that I paid the buyer for then waited for the PO to pay me. Probably more info than you are looking for but it's a pet peeve.

So I had an experience this week worthy of sharing / warning you all.
I sold an expensive rifle on Gunbroker , shipped it from an FFL to and FFL last Friday via US Mail to Florida.
Two day priority mail (I told PO it was a rifle so they gave me that option only).
Buyer emailed me Monday saying he was tracking on line it delivered but FFL was closed so Postal carrier leaned it against door and left it. Buyer rushed there , no package.
Luckily owner of building drove by saw it leaning against locked door grabbed it took to his office and brought back yesterday.

WTF left it outside a locked building WOW. No more USPS for me with firearms.

Two day priority mail (I told PO it was a rifle so they gave me that option only).

WTF left it outside a locked building WOW. No more USPS for me with firearms.

You can ship a long gun via any service that USPS offers.

Absolutely the safest way to ship anything, including a gun, is by REGISTERED U.S. MAIL. It is expensive, but your item is hand carried until it is delivered to the recipient.

One of the advantages of using the USPS is that you don't have to declare the contents, so that is on you.

Question? If you were shipping "from an FFL" why were involved in shipping at all?

Whats on me G gh1950 ?

I shipped USPS per my dealer. The Postal clerk said is this a gun? I said yes. He said it gives me one option to that zip, 2 day.

My point is why in the hell would the USPS leave a package outside a locked business? My dealer stated emphatically that it has to be signed for by the business.

IMG_4084.PNG

Back
Top Bottom