• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the law on shipping a....

So I had an experience this week worthy of sharing / warning you all.
I sold an expensive rifle on Gunbroker , shipped it from an FFL to and FFL last Friday via US Mail to Florida.
Two day priority mail (I told PO it was a rifle so they gave me that option only).
Buyer emailed me Monday saying he was tracking on line it delivered but FFL was closed so Postal carrier leaned it against door and left it. Buyer rushed there , no package.
Luckily owner of building drove by saw it leaning against locked door grabbed it took to his office and brought back yesterday.

WTF left it outside a locked building WOW. No more USPS for me with firearms.
DJD

And they can't figure out why they're losing billions of dollars every year.

When I owned guns back 20 year or so ago..
I shipped disassembled, wrapped, sporting good machined parts, for too long to member. Insured, priority and signature required by intented reciepient , both to and from FFLs out of state and civilians in state

The one time I was doing the right thing I took a hangundown to the shipping center (because the franchisee stores with not take firearms) and "declared it, paid insurance it was never seen again. It was a family heirloom that no insurance could adequetley cover.

Shipping overseas or to states that require unconstitutional BS I get. Screw ATF as far as the rest of it goes IMO.

Reminds me of the time when we had a predeploment course outside of ATL and my best friend at the time went to Delta Airlines to get his checked AR/Glock 19 and loadout gear that had to be picked up personally in thier shipping office. "Sorry Sir, none of it appears to have made it on the plane out of Dulles. So he picks up the phone and calls (in front of the clerk) a buddy at the FBI field office in ATL and starts going on about his weapons and gear being stolen then walks out of the office and shuts the door. (Window you could see him ranting) The luggage clerks asks me if we are FBI (not) I say "I'm not" but I point to my friend ouside the office on the phone and say but he is....

They eventually give us a missing items form , we say it has been reported stolen and start driving to my house.
Takes all of 15 minutes for them to call and say "we found it all you can pick it up now". Frigging thieves. But it saved what would have been a lousy training cycle for my best friend.
Shipping anything, anyway is a crapshoot.

So I had an experience this week worthy of sharing / warning you all.
I sold an expensive rifle on Gunbroker , shipped it from an FFL to and FFL last Friday via US Mail to Florida.
Two day priority mail (I told PO it was a rifle so they gave me that option only).
Buyer emailed me Monday saying he was tracking on line it delivered but FFL was closed so Postal carrier leaned it against door and left it. Buyer rushed there , no package.
Luckily owner of building drove by saw it leaning against locked door grabbed it took to his office and brought back yesterday.

WTF left it outside a locked building WOW. No more USPS for me with firearms.
have u looked around the usps? its a joke. like a football bat. bill

So would this be considered a handgun or a long gun?

20170308_115521.jpg

Whats on me @gh1950 ?

I shipped USPS per my dealer. The Postal clerk said is this a gun? I said yes. He said it gives me one option to that zip, 2 day.

My point is why in the hell would the USPS leave a package outside a locked business? My dealer stated emphatically that it has to be signed for by the business.

For the future:

1. Purchase signature confirmation and that *should* prevent it from being left, but USPS has a lot of new employees now and not all of them know the various rules and regulations like they should. USPS will automatically leave packages that don't require signature confirmation, regardless of what is in the box. The person delivering the parcel does not know it's a gun, even if they drop it off at a gun store. I know that sound stupid but the average courier probably doesn't even know it's generally legal to mail guns through the mail and gun stores sale a wide variety of products.

2. If it's going to an FFL of any type, you DO NOT have to inform USPS. I wouldn't either. Also, do the label online so that instead of having a nosy employee asking questions they don't need to ask, it's just a scan and goodbye.

3. Insurance might have covered it, but they might have docked you for not having signature confirmation. At the end of the day, it's up to you (and not the USPS clerk) to know how it needs to be shipped out. Old eBay rule of thumb for me (since they require it) is that any package over a few hundred dollars needs to have signature confirmation. Just pony up the cash or account for it in the shipping fee next time you sell a firearm on GB.

I've sold on eBay for over a decade and sadly, I probably know the regulations better than 90% of the employees at USPS. Just from selling on eBay and having to deal with issues that come up from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom