• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the shortest OAL you have loaded a 45ACP? Works in my G36, but not in my SIG.

Lumberman

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
I have some 45acp loads, with Ranier 230gr JHP bullets that I have loaded with 10grn of No.7. I loaded them at the books minium OAL of .1245. They load perfectly in my G36 mags, but will not load in my SIG mags. I have to bring them down to about .1225 to fit the SIG mags. How do I know if I am compressing the loads? 10 grn's of No.7 is a minium charge. It shows no signs of to much pressure at .1245, is it safe to seat the bullet to .1225 to cycle in my Sig.

You can push them in there quite far without any pressure problems on a 45 -- this is not the case with 40 or 9. Just load them at the length needed for the gun in use. I have not checked your load-the previous remarks are based on a normal pressure bullet load -- like factory.

Using Ranier 230gr JHP bullets, since they sit so deep in the case, should I use a faster burning powder that feels up less of the case. I remanufactored some of my rounds to .1220 OAL and had no problems with pressure. Also just ordered some brass from ODT's new sponsor's The Brass Exchange. Is everybody happy with what they have received from them.

Using Ranier 230gr JHP bullets, since they sit so deep in the case, should I use a faster burning powder that feels up less of the case. I remanufactored some of my rounds to .1220 OAL and had no problems with pressure. Also just ordered some brass from ODT's new sponsor's The Brass Exchange. Is everybody happy with what they have received from them.

Let me know how satisfied you are with the Brass Exchange. I am thinking of putting an order in with them. Thanks

I would also recommend that you try some faster powder. I'm a little surprised that #7 would be reliable in a 45ACP. You can't argue with success though. I usually don't load top velocity in my 45's, so I usually load them to where they feed reliably from the mag and chamber reliably. I've never really been concerned with a compressed load in a 45 using any of my stock powder choices.

Last edited:
I would also recommend that you try some faster powder. I'm a little surprised that #7 would be reliable in a 45ACP. You can't argue with success though. I usually don't load top velocity in my 45's, so I usaully load them to where they feed reliably from the mag and chamber reliably. I've never really been concerned with a compressed load in a 45 using any of my stock powder choices.

like faster power in 45

i have bought 40 and 9mm from brass exchange and been very happy with the brass. will probably get some 45 soon..

Back
Top Bottom