• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is this rifle?

A lot of these were imported with either one hole or two holes side by side already in them.
The grind mark was done while these were still in japan. Cant remember what the flower/emblem was called but very few actually made it out with the flower still on them. Something to do with honor or something like that. Im sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in
the flower was called the mum, it represented the emperor of japan like a blessing. United States soldiers were asked to remove the mums and japanese soldiers removed them pre-surrender so the rifle could be surrendered in away not to dishonor the emperor. After ww2 the united states still needed the emperor to maintain order, prevent panic and enforce social cohesion in japan

I did not know about the hole in the receiver for no useful reason, that's unusual

Never seen one with a bent bolt handle like that before.

Is the back of the bolt smooth or knurled? And does the butt of the stock have a metal plate or is it plain wood? Smooth and plain wood I believe would indicate a "last ditch" rifle made toward the end of the war.

Never seen one with a bent bolt handle like that before.

Is the back of the bolt smooth or knurled? And does the butt of the stock have a metal plate or is it plain wood? Smooth and plain wood I believe would indicate a "last ditch" rifle made toward the end of the war.
It is Knurled Bagman

Thank you all for awesome info, I believe what I have is a sporterized Japanese Arasake 99 I will bring to my gunsmith to ensure correct round to be fired Thanks again to all

Thank you all for awesome info, I believe what I have is a sporterized Japanese Arasake 99 I will bring to my gunsmith to ensure correct round to be fired Thanks again to all

that’s a great looking rifle. They were very accurate.

I found a correct stock for mine on eBay. Took it to a gunsmiths and had it installed. It looks awesome... and Mine has a Mum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom