• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is your CMP/NRA Service Rifle Setup?

Stick to an AR15. Shoot the M1s and other toys in JCG or vintage matches.

I shot an A2 for over 10 years and tried a scope this year. If you can see irons shoot 'em because a proper scope and mount will cost you. If you go that route look at the Leupold HD 4.5 service rifle scope that they introduced in May.

Ancillary equipment is another ball of wax and another years salary. I did HP for 13/14 years on a very basic setup. Shooting mat, garand web sling, 60 dollar Amazon spotting scope and shot into Master classification. You don't have to spend thousands to compete locally in high power.

Bill

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
5482f7a00f60fc50f3deacd5cc171529.jpg
decaf6fa5eb2c972d6581f99df294632.jpg

The rifle in the top picture is an old bushmaster dcm rebarreled by compass lake engineering. I like Douglas barrels but there are many other great barrels (Green mountain, CBI, Krieger, etc). The trigger is an armalite NM two stage and it is worlds better than RRAs trigger for only a few bucks more. Of course it has a free float tube and a thin front sight post also by armalite.

The rifle in the second pic is a palmetto state armory freedom 16" carbine that I shot while the A2 was being rebarreled. I shot a 450ish out of 500 with that little 400 dollar rifle. Only thing I did special was a NM rear and front sight and some 69 grain hand loads.

Edit: if I was getting into HP in 2018 I would stick to compass lake engineering. Top notch products.

Cheers!

Bill
What is the rifle set up? WOA? Compass Lake? RRA?

The rifle in the top picture is an old bushmaster dcm rebarreled by compass lake engineering. I like Douglas barrels but there are many other great barrels (Green mountain, CBI, Krieger, etc). The trigger is an armalite NM two stage and it is worlds better than RRAs trigger for only a few bucks more. Of course it has a free float tube and a thin front sight post also by armalite.

The rifle in the second pic is a palmetto state armory freedom 16" carbine that I shot while the A2 was being rebarreled. I shot a 450ish out of 500 with that little 400 dollar rifle. Only thing I did special was a NM rear and front sight and some 69 grain hand loads.

Edit: if I was getting into HP in 2018 I would stick to compass lake engineering. Top notch products.

Cheers!

Bill

Yeah, you're going to fit in just fine here!

Welcome again!

I own a mid 1980s Springfield Armory national match M1A. I use that with cheap military surplus FMJ ammo (usually about 147 gr.) in almost all my high power rifle matches. However, I have borrowed heavy barrel AR-15's, and I like them better!
Less recoil is better than more recoil.
The taller sights on the AR put my head in a more comfortable position, which is especially noticeable when shooting from the sitting position.

I find a 1:9 twist stabilizes even 77 grain long range bullets to get me good hits out to 600 yards.

I've never shot any match or competition past 600 yards.

Back
Top Bottom