• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What kind of gear do you run for pistol/carbine class?

Hussar

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
39   0
Reaction score
I see all these classes require 2/3 additional pistol mags and 2 rifle mags? How do you all carry these? I have a single stack so I would definitely need the 3 pistol mags. I don't want a plate carrier or rig but it seems like it would get tight on a belt especially since I'm a small dude with a 32" waist. What do you all recommend?

I get asked a lot about what rig and components I run when Instructing, specifically Carbine (AR or AK) or Shotgun. I thought I'd lay everything out, label it and go over it.

The rig is modular. The only thing that stays the same from course to course is the belt (inner and outer), the Safariland holster platform and the Rolly Polly. Everything else easily removes and attaches. The holsters snap into a plate on the rig.......they're the easiest part of the entire system to switch out.

I usually run a BDS Tactical plate carrier with AR500 plates in it. If I need more than 3 Carbine mags (1 in the weapon, 2 on the belt), I have a carrier that fastens to the front of my carrier and holds an additional 4 magazines.

1a: Jones Tactical outer belt, with Cobra buckle
1b: Jones Tactical inner belt
2: Maxpedition Rolly Polly, large. I tried the medium, but found it sometimes difficult to get a mag in there while shootin' n' scootin'. Also, as an Instructor, I'm always sticking stuff in there like PACT timers, courses of fire and other gear.
3: Safariland 6004-25 holster platform using the QLS (Quick Locking System) plate. This allows just about any Safariland holster to be mounted to this rig. I've always hated "drop leg" holsters, but this one drops just far enough to get below vests and/or armor, but it's still mounted on the hip, not the leg. Super stable and secure, yet very quick.
4a: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, Beretta 92
4b: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, SIG P229
4c: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, Gov't model 1911
5: Safariland kydex Teklok pouches, AR15
6: Blade Tech Teklok pouches, AK
7: Ready Tactical kydex mag pouches, Beretta 92
8: Talon Tactical kydex mag pouches, 1911
9: Ready Tactical kydex mag pouches, SIG P229
10: California Competition works shotshell caddy
11: Safariland SxS shotshell holder. I usually put shotshells in the California CompWorks caddies and slugs in the SxS's.
IMG_0142.JPG

I see all these classes require 2/3 additional pistol mags and 2 rifle mags? How do you all carry these? I have a single stack so I would definitely need the 3 pistol mags. I don't want a plate carrier or rig but it seems like it would get tight on a belt especially since I'm a small dude with a 32" waist. What do you all recommend?

For rifle classes I run a chest rig. It's not ideal, but it lets me keep my belt setup the same way I would normally run it.

For handgun classes, I just run my typical belt and add additional pouches. I'll also tell you as a single stack only guy myself, you're going to want more than 3 additional mags. I usually run 5 - I have my normal single mag pouch at about 11:00, then a double mag pouch at 9:00, and another double at about 7:00 (For reference, I'm also a 32" waist). cmshoot cmshoot gave me **** at the last class I did with him for having 1911 mags wrapped all the way around my body :D Do your standard reloads from your forward pouch like you'd normally do, then bump mags up from the rear pouches between strings of fire.

One other note as a single stack guy, take every mag you own and have them preloaded. Even running 5 mags on my belt, I'd spend every spare second reloading mags if I didn't. I'll usually have 15-20 preloaded magazines in additon to the 5 reloads I'm carrying, that way I can just swap empties for full ones between strings of fire as needed, then reload the empties at breaks.

For handgun classes, I just run my typical belt and add additional pouches. I'll also tell you as a single stack only guy myself, you're going to want more than 3 additional mags. I usually run 5 - I have my normal single mag pouch at about 11:00, then a double mag pouch at 9:00, and another double at about 7:00 (For reference, I'm also a 32" waist). cmshoot cmshoot gave me **** at the last class I did with him for having 1911 mags wrapped all the way around my body :D Do your standard reloads from your forward pouch like you'd normally do, then bump mags up from the rear pouches between strings of fire.

One other note as a single stack guy, take every mag you own and have them preloaded. Even running 5 mags on my belt, I'd spend every spare second reloading mags if I didn't. I'll usually have 15-20 preloaded magazines in additon to the 5 reloads I'm carrying, that way I can just swap empties for full ones between strings of fire as needed, then reload the empties at breaks.

Thank you for all the info. Looks like I have to get more mags lol. I only have four for my 1911. Being a long time shotgun shooter makes me view mags a little different lol. Do you have any belt recs? Do you run iw or outside waist band?

Simple for 100 yd. +, Rock River AR with Eotech 512 & Magnifier, dbl stage trigger, for 223/556 use 20 & 30 round mags, 3 of each or if allowed, a Beta ma'/surefire 60.100m rounders, if no mag changes are required,
For less than 100 yard ranges, I use either a 45 ACP or 9mm TNW AR so my Glock mags are interchangeable for both guns,
Pistol varies G34,35 or 41, lots of long stick mags, for both Pistols and Rifles, for the KCI and that style, make balls of black duct tape to help hold on base plates to avoid a speed unload when the weight and spring under 45ACP tension pops off the floor plate.
Shotty never varies for me, Rem 1100 Synthetic, Youth model with a 12 round tube, fiber optic rifle sights, I have to shoot shotty weak side due to shoulder hardware on strong side, the 20 gets it done from steel plates at 75 yards to clays tossed by poppers much closer, California gun works has the best price ion shell holders for the shotty, 6 12's or 7-20's, per holder
Simple Magnetic style Houge Holster for Pistol, 6 Inexpensive mag holders by Uncle Mikes or the like, Inexpensive but sturdy gun belt
DM RB 3 gun 5-16_LI (2).jpg
2", single point AR sling. Shown below is simple and inexpensive but effective set up

Thank you for all the info. Looks like I have to get more mags lol. I only have four for my 1911. Being a long time shotgun shooter makes me view mags a little different lol. Do you have any belt recs? Do you run iw or outside waist band?

OWB definitely, and get some chip McCormick 7- 10 round mags or have 10- 7 round on hand so if your Rifle coughs up a hairball making you revert to handgun, you'll have enough ammo to finish the course, of course hitting a bowling pin at 100 yards with a 1911 might be a tad challenging.

Ares Gear. I prefer the Aegis for daily carry and wear one pretty much every day, and I like the Ranger for classes.

Generally OWB for training. For daily carry I appendix carry IWB and I train that way on my own, but for large format classes there are a lot of reasons not go appendix, and for that matter a lot of instructors don't allow appendix carry in classes anyway.

For gear, I run primarily Raven Concealment holsters and pouches. I also like Blade Tech mag pouches for the double mag pouches that I use only for classes, because if you get the Tek Lok attachment they're quick on/off but also still secure.

Back
Top Bottom