• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Kind of Gun/Caliber are you using opening day of Gun/Deer Season

There is a ton of public land available. You just need to be willing to go about a 1/2 mile deep and the woods will be pretty much all yours. Forget about special hunts on the WMAs. Just find public land that has the same basic season as private (other than the December break) and you are good to go. I have hunted several clubs and ALL of them had much more pressure on them than deep public land. We kill lots of deer every year and there are quality bucks on the property, too. You just need to be willing to really scout beforehand and wait for the opportunity. We even preposition climbing stands before the season. Most of them are stashed near the location we will hunt, but I have left one of them on the tree for four years now with no problem.

I might break down and try public this year just to attempt to get some meat in the freezer. I hate public land. mainly because I've had a rifle pointed at me more times than I can remember. I don't think that'll work out to well now as i am liable to shoot back after playing around in the desert a few years lol.

is there a good list of public land with the hunting dates listed somewhere?

I might break down and try public this year just to attempt to get some meat in the freezer. I hate public land. mainly because I've had a rifle pointed at me more times than I can remember. I don't think that'll work out to well now as i am liable to shoot back after playing around in the desert a few years lol.

is there a good list of public land with the hunting dates listed somewhere?

If you get deep enough, other people are seldom a problem. You will also rarely run into them going in or coming out because to get that deep, you are typically the first one in the woods and last to leave.

Check the DNR web site. Almost any area in Chattahoochee National Forest or Oconee National Forest (my favorite) that is not also a WMA with restrictive regs will do the trick. Oconee especially is loaded with deer. Study the maps looking for areas that you will be able to get a half mile from any road and focus on those areas. If anything, the pressure the deer get closer to the roads actually improves the hunting deeper in the woods, because that's where to deer concentrate when a bunch of weekend warriors set up 100 yards into the woods. The larger bucks have a tendency to just stay deep all the time.

You will need to look for them a bit, but there are maps available on line that give enough detail to find these deep areas. I would also strongly recommend getting good TOPO maps. National Geographic makes a program that covers the entire state of Georgia in good detail and can be manipulated and info saved. It cost me about $100.00 many years ago and has been worth every penny.

BTW, the only time I have ever had a rifle pointed at me while hunting was on a private club and the only time I have been shook up due to a rifle being fired nearby was on private land.

I don't go opening day because so many other do. I'll be taking a week to go in November. I bought a new rifle recently in 9.3x62 Mauser. I'll be shooting 232gr Norma Vulkan's, and maybe a few 286gr Nosler Partitions. It's more than is necessary for whitetail, but maybe a big pig will be in the way and I can take both with one shot :)

I don't go opening day because so many other do. I'll be taking a week to go in November. I bought a new rifle recently in 9.3x62 Mauser. I'll be shooting 232gr Norma Vulkan's, and maybe a few 286gr Nosler Partitions. It's more than is necessary for whitetail, but maybe a big pig will be in the way and I can take both with one shot :)

What type of rifle find you buy?

T/C pro hunter muzzleloader, I usually hunt with it all season although I do carry the '06 every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom