• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Kind of Gun/Caliber are you using opening day of Gun/Deer Season

Awesome rifle Bypass, I have realized I will use I can't believe it my naval arms company henry model 1860 44-40 repeater!!!!

Do you handload for that, or have you been able to find 44-40 off the shelf that will effectively kill deer?

Do you handload for that, or have you been able to find 44-40 off the shelf that will effectively kill deer?
Well to tell you the truth it's going to be my first time using it, it was passed down to me from my gandfather and he had about 25 rounds of Hornady 205 grain 44-40 rounds with it. So I'll see, hope it's good enough.

Well to tell you the truth it's going to be my first time using it, it was passed down to me from my gandfather and he had about 25 rounds of Hornady 205 grain 44-40 rounds with it. So I'll see, hope it's good enough.

That's a solid lead cowboy load. Do what you wish, but I sure wouldn't hunt deer with that. Very low velocity and energy....ya better be right on top of them.
That will give you about have of the ft/lbs of energy that I'd feel comfortable with, even on the low end. And I'm sure someone will be along to say how many deer have been killed with .22lr, but it's far from ideal.
Good luck.

My ever so trusty,accurate and beautiful Winchester 100 in .308
My son has his Ruger .44mag carbine
My wife 700 BDL Custom Deluxe .270

That's a solid lead cowboy load. Do what you wish, but I sure wouldn't hunt deer with that. Very low velocity and energy....ya better be right on top of them.
That will give you about have of the ft/lbs of energy that I'd feel comfortable with, even on the low end. And I'm sure someone will be along to say how many deer have been killed with .22lr, but it's far from ideal.
Good luck.
Thank you sir, I will do what i can with it, for it's my only rifle

Back
Top Bottom