• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Kind of Gun/Caliber are you using opening day of Gun/Deer Season

I'll be using a 48" toro zmaster zero turn and stihl weedeater,blower and edger. Got rained out of cutting grass Thursday. May GOD bless all that are going tomorrow with a bountiful harvest and a safe hunt.

Browning Abolt I Medalion left hand in 270 win
I shoot Win XP3 130 grain and it shoots it amazingly well, less than 1" groups at 100 yards. Didn't even bother to reload for it after that. I shoot my groups by 3, with 30 seconds interval between only. So on the third shot, barrel is pretty hot. But I feel that replicates the hunting situation. Rather than always from cold barrel.
I have had great success with this round last year one shot kills, barely 25-50 yards, with always through and through. Yesterday, a 10 point buck stepped out, I shot him just behind the shoulder broadside. as I usually do. He fell then got up quickly and jumped in the bushes. He died 50 yards later at the bottom of the ditch. However, I couldn't find any injury just by looking. Bullet didn't exit, and I had to look HARD to see an entrance wound (otherwise I would have thought he died from a heart attack from the noise!!!). Entrance wound was tiny, I didn't measure but roughly 0.277" if I had to guess? :)
I mean, the bullet did its job, no question, but there was no blood trail, no nothing. Night was falling by the time I field dressed him, and I didn't have the luxury to look for the bullet to see what happened.
Maybe next year I will up to 150 grain to ensure it goes through. Anyone else hunting with the XP3?

Back
Top Bottom