• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What kind of scope should I go with?

oldmetlfan

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
47   0
Reaction score
I recently aquired a Howa in 280, that I have decided to make a long range gun.
I already have a bipod, and am buying an axiom stock soon as my next paycheck makes its way to my pocket.
Wondering what scope people would recommend for long shooting, 400+ yds.
It came with a bushnell sport view 4x12x40 scope, which only has straight up crosshairs, no "dots" for quick shooting adjustment.
It also seems a bit "blurry". Although, it could be just my bad eyesite...:cool:

Just wondering what other people are using?

depends on what kind of money you want to spend. I have heard good things from the Bushnell elites for the money, as well as the Millett TRS-1. But you could go spend $2500 on a swarsky or leupold tactical.

everyone is gonna bash this but i have had great luck with the 16 power centerpoints from walmart ...they have mil dot and illuminated reticle and all these bells and whistle ..they are only 70 bucks too ....but if you realy want some realy realy good performance at a decent price ...look at the "super sniper scopes"

When I was a younger man I tried nearly every economy scope offered and wound up with a pile of money tied up in bushel basket full of broken junk. Then I bought my first Leupold. Since then I have bought a couple of more. It is a old varix 2 3-9x40 with friction adjustments(no clicks). It was a low end Leupold at the time.I've still got it mounted on my primary deer rifle and it's been to heck and back and never failed me. Its been dropped out of a tree 24', I've fallen backwards down a ridge and rolled over it multiple times, banged against my climber for miles of walking etc... none of this was on purpose but none of it affected my Leupold. There's nothin' fancy about it the finish is rough but it holds dead zero no questions asked.
In my opinion a low end Leupold is better than a high end most anything else.They sure will give you good service and they hold their value.
Here's another word of free advice
There are lots of gimmicks out there designed to lure your dollars into the manufacturers pocket. Long range and tactical seem to be the buzz words selling products right now. If you truly want to be a better shot and hit what you're shooting at a long ways out, there is no better place to spend your money than on ammo and practice. If you do enough of that you'll know where to hold over and make the shot.
My $.02 BHJ

another good one is the konus pro ...mine is 6-24x40ao and its AWESOME

here are some pics from the range test for it today ...shot a three shot group at 100 yards i could almost cover with a dime

the picture of the group is before i brought the scope down 5 clicks and left 4 click ( NOW ITS DEAD ON)

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I have Two Leupold Rifleman's in 4-12 x 40, I have one Leupold Vari-X 2 3-9 x 50, I have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9 x 40, and I have a Tasco 4-12 x 42. The tasco I have kept around because it has taken a beating from my 300 Win mag and my 338 Win mag both, and now it is sitting on a 270, and it still works quite well.

I have also heard great things about the Simmons 44 mag series. A 280 will not be to taxing on a scope, shop around you will find the one for you.

Two big factors are budget and whether you want to use a reticle for windage and elevation or spin turrets. If you want high magnification with an image clear enough to use at distance you have to spend some money. The Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x40 is a good entry level scope that comes with good turrets and a mil-dot reticle is an option.

One of the big mistakes I see people make is to buy a scope that has so much magnification that the field of view is very narrow at the ranges we normally shoot deer here. If it is to be used as an all around scope you need at least 30' at 100 yards field of view. 40' or more would be better.

Stick with a 3x9..40 or 50 end.You know what you can spend and that is the determining factor.Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom