• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What level of accuracy do insist on for a deer rifle?

Minimum acceptable accuracy for you out of a deer rifle?

• 1 MOA

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • 2 MOA

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • 3 MOA

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • 4 MOA

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Minute of pie plate

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I don't care, spray and pray is how I roll.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
I'd probably keep the rifle, but I wouldn't post the target :rolleyes:

Still relies pretty heavily on the honor system, but here is one way to do it. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/14...FCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG_CHALLENGE.html&page=1

I don't frequent Arfcom much, but that's where that target was posted.
"Honor system?" Around HERE? Oh heck no! This will have to be a "show up and prove it!" thing. After hunting season. Maybe I'll host it at my little place. We can shoot 100 yards easy (should have berm finished by then) and for the big talkers I'll try and have a 200 yard option so they can shoot aspirin, free hand, at 200 yards. ;)

I say the rifle should be close to 1 moa for the shooter comfortable off a bench because in most field situations the shooters accuracy decreases so you have some wiggle room for error. Then when it's game time and you miss the pie plate you can't blame the rifle.

I hunt fields with shots out to 375ish and either shoot them in the head or upper neck. I can't remember the last one I've shot inside 100 yards so accuracy matters to me.

How could you? Browning .270 = excellence.

My old BAR .270 shoots 1" groups at 100 yards. I had a BAR in .30/06 that would touch bullet holes, but that was shooting around 70 yards. Still an excellent group. I got rid of that .30/06 but I regret it.
Well,

It is a Japanese Browning, and as much as I loved that rifle, it sticks in my crawl.

That, and I'm swapping to .2sicky

I'm a bit of an accuracy nut (father was a prolific bench rest shooter so it's sort of ingrained) and simply don't tolerate inaccurate rifles. But I've never really had to deal with one (until potentially now). So obviously a deer's vitals are fairly large and most shots are certainly fairly close in Georgia, so for YOU, at what point would you say it's 'unacceptable'?

I'm going to go with 2MOA but only because I like to hunt places that often allow shooting relatively long distances and that includes coyotes.
A lot of the readers on here don't even know what MOA means.
and what you can do on the bench is completely different when you are shooting in the woods from a deer stand.
that said there is nothing wrong with wanting an accurate rifle.

"Honor system?" Around HERE? Oh heck no! This will have to be a "show up and prove it!" thing. After hunting season. Maybe I'll host it at my little place. We can shoot 100 yards easy (should have berm finished by then) and for the big talkers I'll try and have a 200 yard option so they can shoot aspirin, free hand, at 200 yards. ;)
THAT sounds pretty interesting. I have a couple of 4" x 1/2" AR 500 steels that I painted and christened "The Pink Lady". That would make for one heck of a cold bore, one shot from typical hunting position stance challenge from 100-200 yds.

THAT sounds pretty interesting. I have a couple of 4" x 1/2" AR 500 steels that I painted and christened "The Pink Lady". That would make for one heck of a cold bore, one shot from typical hunting position stance challenge from 100-200 yds.
4" at 200 yards from hunting stance would be interesting. I bet the fail rate would shock a lot of folks.

Back
Top Bottom