• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What level of accuracy do insist on for a deer rifle?

Minimum acceptable accuracy for you out of a deer rifle?

• 1 MOA

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • 2 MOA

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • 3 MOA

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • 4 MOA

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Minute of pie plate

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I don't care, spray and pray is how I roll.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
That's benchrest, not hunting, their scores are decided by fractions of an inch. Big difference on a bench rest match which can take all day to shoot 20 rounds and a precision rifle match where you shoot 200+ rounds in two days.
They were 100 rounds per distance. So either 100 rounds on the 'short' matches and at least 200 on the dual range (100 & 200) matches per day. More for others.
My point is they weren't cleaning for their exercise. It would be interesting I guess to run a 'test' (still have the rifle) but you are right, they are dealing in minutia.

They were 100 rounds per distance. So either 100 rounds on the 'short' matches and at least 200 on the dual range (100 & 200) matches per day. More for others.
My point is they weren't cleaning for their exercise. It would be interesting I guess to run a 'test' (still have the rifle) but you are right, they are dealing in minutia.

True, The good ones should be loading based upon shooting order as the barrel heats up to maintain the same velocities.

Dirty bore?!?! :faint2: I can't sleep at night if it's not clean. What kind of sick demented person are you anyway? :cool:

You Don't wanna shoot guns.... I clean em at the end of season and just before season I fire one or two out the back door the check it later that day (or week). After that I don't touch the inside of the barrel unless it gets rain in it or something happens to it.

Last edited:
THAT sounds pretty interesting. I have a couple of 4" x 1/2" AR 500 steels that I painted and christened "The Pink Lady". That would make for one heck of a cold bore, one shot from typical hunting position stance challenge from 100-200 yds.
that sounds like a fun meet and greet , I would be fun

Sorry I'm late to this discussion. I'm pretty sure I've never missed a deer due to the MOA of my rifles and I've never given a second thought to the MOA of my deer rifles. I really don't want to read through all 16 pages of comments. Should I be concerned if my rifle doesn't shoot MOA?

The rifle is saved! ;)
The rifle that started this, that was shooting 2.5" and took FIVE HOURS of cleaning, I took out again today. 3 groups under bad conditions (wind). First group with Core-lokt. 1.16" and a vertical of 0.85" Second group with Hornady American Whitetail 1.03" with 0.22" of vertical and very odd third group, with a vertical of 0.03" and two in the same hole but unfortunately 1.61" overall. Surely me. In any case, I'm not worried about it anymore and am confident with hand loads and time (and better conditions) it would/could be sub MOA. It'll be in the stand with me this year. :)

Back
Top Bottom