• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What level of accuracy do insist on for a deer rifle?

Minimum acceptable accuracy for you out of a deer rifle?

• 1 MOA

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • 2 MOA

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • 3 MOA

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • 4 MOA

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Minute of pie plate

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I don't care, spray and pray is how I roll.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
The rifle is saved! ;)
The rifle that started this, that was shooting 2.5" and took FIVE HOURS of cleaning, I took out again today. 3 groups under bad conditions (wind). First group with Core-lokt. 1.16" and a vertical of 0.85" Second group with Hornady American Whitetail 1.03" with 0.22" of vertical and very odd third group, with a vertical of 0.03" and two in the same hole but unfortunately 1.61" overall. Surely me. In any case, I'm not worried about it anymore and am confident with hand loads and time (and better conditions) it would/could be sub MOA. It'll be in the stand with me this year. :)

Sounds like you won't have an excuse if you miss now lol

The rifle is saved! ;)
The rifle that started this, that was shooting 2.5" and took FIVE HOURS of cleaning, I took out again today. 3 groups under bad conditions (wind). First group with Core-lokt. 1.16" and a vertical of 0.85" Second group with Hornady American Whitetail 1.03" with 0.22" of vertical and very odd third group, with a vertical of 0.03" and two in the same hole but unfortunately 1.61" overall. Surely me. In any case, I'm not worried about it anymore and am confident with hand loads and time (and better conditions) it would/could be sub MOA. It'll be in the stand with me this year. :)
Copper build up?

Copper build up?
There was some but not excessive. Fair amount of carbon. After the first couple of passes I didn't think either was anything unusual and I'd be done in minutes as usual. 5 hours later I gave up as the patches were still showing dirty. I've never experienced anything like it. When my shoulder heals from 10,000 brush strokes I'll tackle it again. ;)

There was some but not excessive. Fair amount of carbon. After the first couple of passes I didn't think either was anything unusual and I'd be done in minutes as usual. 5 hours later I gave up as the patches were still showing dirty. I've never experienced anything like it. When my shoulder heals from 10,000 brush strokes I'll tackle it again. ;)

I've never really shot a barrel enough to build up any major amount of copper, but have read about accuracy falling off and being restored due to it. Sounds like you've cured it anyway.

Just curious; have you mixed lead core/copper jacket and solid copper bullets in it? I seem to remember reading a little about that as well.

I've never really shot a barrel enough to build up any major amount of copper, but have read about accuracy falling off and being restored due to it. Sounds like you've cured it anyway.

Just curious; have you mixed lead core/copper jacket and solid copper bullets in it? I seem to remember reading a little about that as well.

I've shot the barrel out of a few and it's not that hard to do.

It's had over 3,000 rounds through it in the last year instead of a rifle that gets brought out once a year to make sure it's still on paper. Which one sounds more like neglect?
That sounds something like "I show my kids plenty of attention, I beat them all the time"

Back
Top Bottom