• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Most Preppers Ignore About Surviving a Collapse

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
Thought this was a pretty good reminder to get out and exercise a little (myself included!):

https://moderncombatandsurvival.com/survival/zombieland-rule-1-fatties-die-first/

Building up food and water storage... stockpiling weapons and ammo... determining evacuation routes... gathering critical documents... creating a communication plan... these are all important aspects of preparedness.

However, another crucial step people often overlook is maintaining or improving their physical shape. The fact is the better you care for and develop your body now, the better it will serve you in times of stress.

I always love the armchair survivalists who fantasize about running into the woods and living off the land. Most couldn't make it past their mailbox with their loadout. I just went through all my bags this weekend and culled some weight out of them and replaced some meds, etc.
Totally.
got-my-bug-out-bag-ready.png

A friend of mine from church is finishing a six-month hike on the Appalachian Trail. He started in TN in March and will finish next week in central Maine. After he stopped using his heavy winter coat and mailed it back home, his backpack only weighs 10.75 lbs.

I once did a backpacking/ rail trip across Europe, and I thought I would be fine with a 30 lb. pack. WRONG !!! I quickly took 10 lbs. of stuff out of that thing and mailed that junk home. 20 lbs. was all I wanted to deal with for 10 hours a day.

Interesting how the the thread on gear has hundreds of replies but this one (which in my opinion is vastly more important) only has five replies.
Yes that is interesting. :-) I think they're both important, but fitness is not discussed nearly as much, from what I see. Maybe gear is just easier to discuss from the armchair? With exceptions for mobility, disabilities, etc., talking about fitness -- if you know you need to work on that area -- hits a little too close to home.

Not worried about hiking, we'll be bugging in too old and banged up to try hiking. Only case would be hiking home, from not too far away unless on vacation. Both vehicles are equipped to support us in that situation, I am retired and home most of the time, or at the gun club about 11 miles away and the wifey at work about 11 miles in the other direction. Bug home bags include satellite maps of our area, a marked Route home from either location, hand held GPS, 25 mile walkie talkies, and sufficient support items to facilitate the trip. Once home, defense will be per plans and pity the fools that cross the property lines.

Back
Top Bottom