• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Most Preppers Ignore About Surviving a Collapse

I have all the sfuff, I need but couldn't walk no more than 5 miles a day. I have Cancer in both my legs now. But, I'm a realist don't plan to survive long. I take to Many meds just to function. Hell, it took me 14 years just to beat my Back and Kidney Cancer. But, I expect my son and wife to survive my son is young and now getting in shape. He's been shooting since 10 years old, plus he has crazy upper body strength, my wife is 7 years younger than me, and is a survivor she's from Oklahoma and her dad taught her shooting and survival skills since 9years old. Plus, my dogs are old like me and I'm not leaving them. I remember when I would do force marches in the Philippines, Korea and Guam. Getting Old is Hell!!! But, I had a good run and great friends!!

I live on 16acres in the country. There's really no where to bug out to. I have plenty of creek water and animals. I live on a hill which is nice. I'd have a couple of families show up. I think it would be either difficult to take my stuff, or sustain a lot of casualties.

If you plan to go out to the wilderness and live off the land you've lost before you've started. I know I cant hump enough gear for that. And I can carry weight pretty well. The more you know the less you have to carry. 20lbs is light though. I routinely do about 6 miles with a lot of up hill with a 60lb ruck. Day in and day out would be harder but not prohibitive. If you get to a point where you dont have a choice best have become comfortable with it before hand.

If you plan to go out to the wilderness and live off the land you've lost before you've started. I know I cant hump enough gear for that. And I can carry weight pretty well. The more you know the less you have to carry. 20lbs is light though. I routinely do about 6 miles with a lot of up hill with a 60lb ruck. Day in and day out would be harder but not prohibitive. If you get to a point where you dont have a choice best have become comfortable with it before hand.
Living off the land is a pipe dream for 99.999% of Americans. No skills, bad health, no endurance or body strength. There isn't a Hugh Glass among us.

Living off the land is a pipe dream for 99.999% of Americans. No skills, bad health, no endurance or body strength. There isn't a Hugh Glass among us.

Living off the land how? Like always on the go, or on a farm like where I live? BC I could live here for a long time. If I was on the go with my wife, 3 kids, and elderly in laws, I probably wouldn't make it 5 days

Living off the land how? Like always on the go, or on a farm like where I live? BC I could live here for a long time. If I was on the go with my wife, 3 kids, and elderly in laws, I probably wouldn't make it 5 days

I was referring to "on the go". Although the number of people that could self sufficiently bug in are few and far between as well. Ill admit I couldnt. Probably be better off than a lot but couldnt do it long term without stocking up ahead of time significantly. Too much know how of old has been lost to the vast majority. Not saying you fall into this camp. Just a general statement for most.

It would def br harder for sure. But with 3 or 4 of my buddies here, I think we would make it. Winters would be rough. Grass doesn't grow and I cant just go pick up hay or grain for animals. Not to mention no heat in the house. I have two fireplaces but they wouldn't heat the whole house. It would be a rough go

Back
Top Bottom