• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What press do you guys use??

TBurnham

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
41   0
Reaction score
Istill use a single stage and go slow......my choice. But I have used Lee and RCBS presses and still find myself going back to an OLD Bonanza press. Anybody else still use a really old press. The Bonanza is cool because you do not have to use shell holders......it grips whatever case you put in it. Ill try and post a pic of it tomorrow.

I have a 550b and a square deal b. I do almost all my loading on an old Lyman single stage. It just feels right. Although I have been known to turn out 1k rounds of 45 in a 4 hour period on the 550.

I have used a lot of presses over the years. I always keep going back to the cheap little Lee Challenger. I guess because it is what I learned on.

i have 2 single stage Lee presses, 1 single stage Lee Turrent press, and 1 Lee Pro 1000 progressive press. seems i just stick with the single stage presses most of the time. its alot slower but its just not as fun loading with a Progressive press to me.

I've got an OLD Herter's cast iron press that's probably older than most of us. Truthfully I don't use it anymore. I prefer my Lee Turret. I've used a RCBS Rockchucker a bunch and like it. Yesterday I got a chance to use an old Dillon 450. Pretty nice! I'm looking to add a Dillon to my loading setup.

I am just starting really but I have a Lee Turret press. It operates slow and careful like a single stage but has the advantage of allowing you to have all of your dies handy and lets you complete the rounds one at a time. I don't think I would ever trust myself with a progressive.

RCBS Rockchucker for most of the small volume rounds I do (20-50 rounds at a time). If i'm doing higher volume, I switch to my dillon 550.

even thinking of selling the 550 and getting a 650 just to have the indexing and maybe a case feeder.

I've had a bunch of presses over the years, and settled on two. I have an RCBS Turret that I load the majority of my rifle rounds with, it's been with me 8 or 10 years. I have an old Lee 4 hole Turret that started life as a 3 holer, that I load most of my pistol rounds on. I don't use the auto index feature on the Lee, I prefer using it as a single stage. My first press was a Rockchucker, great press but too damn much trouble changing dies. I load a bunch of different calibers, and it's great to change calibers in seconds. I unlike so many others haven't been the least bit disappointed with accuracy of rounds loaded on these presses. The Lee is my favorite to use, but the RCBS is hands down superior for loading rifle lengthed cartridges. I'm just not willing to give up any more control for speed. I like doing more case prep than is practical to do on anything more automated.

Back
Top Bottom