• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What rifle and caliber yall hunting with in the morning

Can't make it rifle hunting tomorrow, but the next time I do it will be the first time with my new to me Browning BLR M-81 in 308. Beautiful 37 year old rifle that groups 1 MOA with Hornady 178 grain ELD-X ammo.
Bought a BLR in 308 new in 1977-78 from Franklins in Athens. That bad boy was one of the sweetest shooting, slickest operating, tightest grouping of any hunting rifle I have ever owned. It put many a deer DRT using Hornady 150 gr. Spire point hand loads. Life got tough in the early 80’s and end up loosing it to pawn. Bought me another one in about 1990 in 30.06 and it just wasn’t the same. The longer cartridge length made the action rough so I didn’t keep it too long.
Sweet acquisition !!
You’ll love it I’m sure...

20191015_112836.jpg
20191014_181356.jpg

I would use .308 if my rifle was back from the gunsmith so for now I am rocking 357 magnum from my Marlin 1894.

I don't have any long distance shots where I hunt so this'll do for now.

Bought a BLR in 308 new in 1977-78 from Franklins in Athens. That bad boy was one of the sweetest shooting, slickest operating, tightest grouping of any hunting rifle I have ever owned. It put many a deer DRT using Hornady 150 gr. Spire point hand loads. Life got tough in the early 80’s and end up loosing it to pawn. Bought me another one in about 1990 in 30.06 and it just wasn’t the same. The longer cartridge length made the action rough so I didn’t keep it too long.
Sweet acquisition !!
You’ll love it I’m sure...
I got a Savage 99 in 300 Savage a while back that I thought I would really like, but I kept finding issues with it and my brother really wanted one, so I sold it to him cheap and got the BLR. Not regretting that at all. Pleasantly surprised by the accuracy and a very good trigger for a lever action.

A previous owner stripped the varnish off the wood and did a hand rubbed oil finish. I just added another coat and sealed it with traditional stock wax. Looks pretty good! I think I've got a new favorite woods rifle.

Back
Top Bottom