• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What sinkers to use

Ferguson0089

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
96   1
Reaction score
Went fishing in the coosa rive the other night and spent more time hung up than fishimg. Just wondering what kind of sinkers you guys use when fishimg in a swift river. And what size.

I suggest you do what we used to do in Sebastian inlet with the really fast current. Put a 3 way swivel on your line and tie the sinker on with lighter line. I would use a longer bank or dipsey (egg with wire eyelet) type sinker to help it keep from getting stuck as much.. If it gets stuck, that is what the light line is for so it will break free. Just take extra sinkers because you will be loosing them.

I suggest you do what we used to do in Sebastian inlet with the really fast current. Put a 3 way swivel on your line and tie the sinker on with lighter line. I would use a longer bank or dipsey (egg with wire eyelet) type sinker to help it keep from getting stuck as much.. If it gets stuck, that is what the light line is for so it will break free. Just take extra sinkers because you will be loosing them.
Thanks for the info the spot i was fishing has a lot of rocks on the bottom. How long of a leader do you use for the hook

5851480144_ff963bcc6a_b.jpg

We used to run 18-24" of #250 wire leader due to things with teeth (blue fish, sharks, cuda and whatever was in season) being there. Depending if we were fishing the river side (high current flow) or beach side (some rocks), we adjusted our rigs according. Of course, I have been there when 8oz would not keep the bait on the bottom. Fishing in the surf is different from fresh water. The only other time I use wire leaders is cat fishing at buddy's private lake due to the extremely large alligator snapping turtles..

This is where i was fishing but the water wasnt as high as it is in the pic. We were using 3 oz pyramid sinkers and the current was still draging them

Back
Top Bottom