• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What the heck is this on my Remington 03A3?

Hayata

Wolf Icon
Knock it off with them negative waves Moriarity!
177   0
Reaction score
So I had business this week in Memphis and on the drive back my car started pulling to the right at the Anniston exit and somehow I ended-up at the CMP store.

I've been wanting an 03A3 and low and behold they had half a dozen. I asked the fine gentleman behind the counter for advice and this is what I got.

It's a Sep '43 serial and barrel date Remington. I can't believe I've waited this long (or paid this much) to get one! Trigger and sights are SWEET! Bolt action is BUTTAH!

Anyway, here's my question for my ODT brothers:

What is on this rifle that makes the stock so shiny? It even has drips of something. Dude at CMP said to wipe it down with MEK but that sounds a little harsh but what do I know?

Also, would it be better to keep as I got it from CMP (and shoot it, I can't wait to shoot it with 1.5's on ME and TE) or should I try to pretty up the wood - and the metal, for that matter.

Anyway, my WWII /mainline/ rifle collection is complete - Garand, Springfield, and carbine. Don't have the jack to venture into Johnson territory at the moment.

Stand by, have to post pics from my phone.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I asked him about the finish on the front barrel thingy being all black and he said 'cause it was never used!

I'm used to seeing them with some kind of patina. I guess the black wears off quickly.

Anyway, not sure if the pics show the drips or not.

Nice! i vote to strip the stock and refinish it with tung oil or whatever. The stock looks like some well meaning wastrel tried to make it look nice...

I don't think this rifle has ever been outside of government control until now.

I think the shiny stuff is maybe some kind of preservative?

Back
Top Bottom