• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What to inspect/replace on your AR

Replacing a CHF CL barrel at 15K rounds seems wastefull. That barrel probanly has another 24-30K left in it.
Why so early?

Replacing a CHF CL barrel at 15K rounds seems wastefull. That barrel probanly has another 24-30K left in it.
Why so early?

YMMV. I’ve seen guys go 18,000.......20,000......25,000. You’ll still have good rifling, but throat and gas port erosion may make itself known by then. I don’t mind spending $200-$250 every 15K.

In my experience, the 15k-18k Range is where you can first start to notice diminished accuracy. Yes, the gun will still for quite some time after that, but accuracy is going to keep going downhill.

I wouldn’t run a barrel in a gun I depend on for 40,000-45,000rds. If it were a range toy, or I ran a store and the gun was a rental, then I’d run it until it can’t run anymore. When I’m counting on it to do what I need it to, when I need it to, I’m erring on the low side. I remember John Noveske bragging about SOME of their barrels going 25,000, maybe a little more, in the hands of “professionals”. I don’t think those same pros would run their real use guns with barrels in the 40k + range.

Good info here . I always keep a LMT maintenance kit inside my pistol grip. It has everything you need to do routine maintenance on your rifle .

You should treat your rifle just like you treat your vehicle . That is unless you neglect that too. If so stop it . Breaking down with a rifle means you die

Good stuff!

I will add that I have a Colt AR15-A4 w/ 13,500 rounds through it. Exactly nothing has been replaced and it's still running fine. This is more of an experiment at this point to see what what point parts replacements become necessary. This is no longer my primary defensive long gun, and I do have a fill kit of replacement parts ready for if/when failure occurs.

Back
Top Bottom