• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What to use to break free a 'stuck' suppressor tube?

Get on mcmastercarr and order a 12" piece of 1/8" thick rubber sheet. Wrap it around the barrel shroud and youll be amazed at how much gripping force you will have. I was able to get our demo one apart after a few thousand full auto shots from the IV8888 youtube range day

I'm watching this thread and it's killing me for ya...
Me too!

I messed around once and let my Sparrow go 3 or 4 bricks without cleaning it. I'll never make that mistake again.

I had to wrap it in a piece of rubber mat, put it in a vise and twist the cap off with big pair of channel locks. Then I had to pound the core out of the tube with a piece of wood and a hammer.

I don't let it go anymore than 1 brick between cleanings now!

Machinists swear by atf fluid mixed with acetone as a penetrating mix. Maybe a larger rubber mat that will roll up on most of the exposed shroud then 1 strap wrench towards the thread and one at the other end.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well, it's going back to Gemtech.

PB Blaster didn't help, and while the scope ring was a good idea, the barrel was just a little too small. I did try a hose clamp, but the rubber lined ones just slipped, and the metal-band one slipped and took off a bunch of the paint.

I called GemTech and they want me to send it back. The tech was concerned that I was able to crack it loose maybe 1 degree out of 360, but then it stuck solid there. His thinking was that there was a mechanical issue here, not just fouling, which I'm pretty sure is correct.

Nice folks there though. I found out a lot of good info about this barrel/can from the tech, and it sounds like they will refinish the tube for free as well (his comment was that "it shouldn't have frozen up in the first place").

Anyway, back it goes... I'll post up what they find.

PB Blaster didn't help, and while the scope ring was a good idea, the barrel was just a little too small. I did try a hose clamp, but the rubber lined ones just slipped, and the metal-band one slipped and took off a bunch of the paint.

I called GemTech and they want me to send it back. The tech was concerned that I was able to crack it loose maybe 1 degree out of 360, but then it stuck solid there. His thinking was that there was a mechanical issue here, not just fouling, which I'm pretty sure is correct.

Nice folks there though. I found out a lot of good info about this barrel/can from the tech, and it sounds like they will refinish the tube for free as well (his comment was that "it shouldn't have frozen up in the first place").

Well, that's a little bit of good news, that Gemtech will stand behind it. Hope you are able to get it back quickly.

Well that sux but probably the best course of action at this point if they suspect something mechanical.

Btw is this the ported or non-ported version?

Glad to hear they're taking care of you. As I posted previously, it does sound strange that it would lock up that tight after only a couple hundred rounds.

I'm interested to hear what they find.

Well that sux but probably the best course of action at this point if they suspect something mechanical.

Btw is this the ported or non-ported version?

This is the non-ported version. They stopped making the ported version, although I believe you can have them add the ports for free.

Glad to hear they're taking care of you. As I posted previously, it does sound strange that it would lock up that tight after only a couple hundred rounds.

I'm interested to hear what they find.

Same here. The tech mentioned that he had shot about 5K rounds through a MIST-22 at a suppressor shoot with no problems over a weekend. He said he would take the shroud off every couple hundred rounds and tap the monocore with it to knock loose some of the junk, but they never had any issues with it locking up.

Back
Top Bottom