• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What to use to break free a 'stuck' suppressor tube?

This is the non-ported version. They stopped making the ported version, although I believe you can have them add the ports for free.

Yeah I believe they stopped making the ports because people were having stuck issues. I've never heard of a non-ported getting stuck like yours.

Kroil generally works better than PB Blaster. It also works better if you can heat the part first so it "sucks" up into the threads. This is how we've gotten broken diesel exhaust manifold studs/bolts to extract.

I think if it really was simply carbon fouling one of the penetrating oils/cleaners would have done the trick. I had this barrel soaking in something for over a week now and it just wasn't going anywhere. That's why I'm pretty sure GT was right and there's some kind of mechanical issue.

Yeah I believe they stopped making the ports because people were having stuck issues. I've never heard of a non-ported getting stuck like yours.

That's the same thing I'd heard. I'll know more in a week or so I guess.

Just a side note... I didn't realize it but GemTech is now owned by Smith and Wesson.

Sorry for the long delay.

It took over 30 days for GemTech to send my barrel back, and that was only after I called them asking for a status 2-3 times. They were just purchased by SMith & Wesson's new brand, and they were moving to a new building, so I guess things were a bit hectic.

They were able to break the shroud free, but had to use a special fixture they have for this purpose according to the tech. They didn't find any evidence of a baffle strike, or anything else out of the ordinary though, just lead buildup in the threads.

It sounds like it's critical to break the shroud free every 50 rounds or so, and to leave it loose after shooting it. The tech also suggested using anti-seize on the threads after each cleaning.

Kind of disappointing that they still haven't gotten this design worked out. The suppressor itself works great. The gun is very quiet with the action being the noisiest thing you hear with subsonic rounds. But this is definitely a design issue that folks should be aware of if they are going this route.

Sorry for the long delay.

It took over 30 days for GemTech to send my barrel back, and that was only after I called them asking for a status 2-3 times. They were just purchased by SMith & Wesson's new brand, and they were moving to a new building, so I guess things were a bit hectic.

They were able to break the shroud free, but had to use a special fixture they have for this purpose according to the tech. They didn't find any evidence of a baffle strike, or anything else out of the ordinary though, just lead buildup in the threads.

It sounds like it's critical to break the shroud free every 50 rounds or so, and to leave it loose after shooting it. The tech also suggested using anti-seize on the threads after each cleaning.

Kind of disappointing that they still haven't gotten this design worked out. The suppressor itself works great. The gun is very quiet with the action being the noisiest thing you hear with subsonic rounds. But this is definitely a design issue that folks should be aware of if they are going this route.
EVERY 50 RDs?! I would have assumed 500, but 50 is ridiculous, unless just a typo.

Back
Top Bottom