• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What to use to grease the piston

Jeddak

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
142   0
Reaction score
So, I picked up my Optimis last week. Shelly and I applied for it in May of last year.

I covered the baffles and tube in Bore Butter, for easier clean up after firing.
What should I use to lube the piston and the spring? I normally use automotive hi-temperature grease on my guns (Red can Mystic from WM), can I use it on the suppressor as well?

Thank you!

I would think that you would be fine using what you always use (I've used both oil and grease before). Just be aware that some pistons spit, blow oil, grease, powder, etc back on you. Just make sure to wear eye protection and wear something you don't mind getting dirty. Also, expect you POI on the guns to change (normally lower) due to the weight of the suppressor on the barrel. Have fun with it and give us an update.

I usually carry a can of Ballistol and just give the piston a shot, then cycle it back and forth by hand. If all feels good, I start pulling that trigger.

I bought some quality brakes for a vehicle and it came with some caliper grease similar to Permatex 24125.

It's good to 3000 degrees, so I started using it on my three lug threads and piston and such thinking it won't cook off. I've started using it on my pistol slides too.

I bought some quality brakes for a vehicle and it came with some caliper grease similar to Permatex 24125.

It's good to 3000 degrees, so I started using it on my three lug threads and piston and such thinking it won't cook off. I've started using it on my pistol slides too.
I got a bottle of the Permatex. I'll have to give that a try.

I put Bore Butter on the piston and springs as well. But I am currently testing Anti-Spatter as a "no longer get my fingers greasy" replacement to Bore Butter. I haven't used it enough though to see if it works as well.

And I use LokCease, McMaster Carr part number 9438K1, on the threads instead of anti-seize because it's much less messier.

Back
Top Bottom