• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What weapon would you choose?

The rifle I'd keep at home or if I were volunteering to man a security checkpoint, where I don't have to walk with it much, would be an M1A. And four twenty-round mags of .308 ammo.

If I were marching / hiking with a long gun, make it my pencil-barreled AR, a real 20" barreled rifle with a fixed A1 stock. A 20-round mag in the gun and four 30-rounders on my belt or vest.

But I envision a lot of situations where you may not want to appear to be visibly armed, and may need to carry concealed, so a full-sized handgun hidden under a sweater or shirt is necessary too.

The rifle I'd keep at home or if I were volunteering to man a security checkpoint, where I don't have to walk with it much, would be an M1A. And four twenty-round mags of .308 ammo.

If I were marching / hiking with a long gun, make it my pencil-barreled AR, a real 20" barreled rifle with a fixed A1 stock. A 20-round mag in the gun and four 30-rounders on my belt or vest.

But I envision a lot of situations where you may not want to appear to be visibly armed, and may need to carry concealed, so a full-sized handgun hidden under a sweater or shirt is necessary too.
The M1A is s definitely a go to if you don’t need to carry it far or long as it’s heavy.

i like the fact that it’s simple and thats parts are interchangeable and readily available.

same for mags

LWRC M6DI w/buis and 1-4 optic, G45 or MP9, Browning Buckmark with can if moving.
Stationary Aero AR10 w/glass and a can, FNX45 tac with a can, and a Mac 90 irons

The M1A is s definitely a go to if you don’t need to carry it far or long as it’s heavy.

i like the fact that it’s simple and thats parts are interchangeable and readily available.

same for mags

People always say how heavy the m1a is. I agree but might be good to point out that soldiers in WW2 carried one across a continent. You get used to what you carry. My vest in the military was crushingly heavy at first. By the end of a deployment it felt like I was wearing a t shirt and it felt odd not to have it on. Granted, if I was on my own without support and had to carry everything I'd want to shed weight but there is no way to carry everything you need anyway. I figure we will all just end up learning how to carry more and make do with less at the same time.

People always say how heavy the m1a is. I agree but might be good to point out that soldiers in WW2 carried one across a continent. You get used to what you carry. My vest in the military was crushingly heavy at first. By the end of a deployment it felt like I was wearing a t shirt and it felt odd not to have it on. Granted, if I was on my own without support and had to carry everything I'd want to shed weight but there is no way to carry everything you need anyway. I figure we will all just end up learning how to carry more and make do with less at the same time.
I’m old WinstonSmith WinstonSmith

Soldiers in World War II carried M1 rifles , a little different than M1A / M14 but still heavy and they carried lots of ammo

but I agree if you condition yourself it becomes natural

Back
Top Bottom