• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Will Happen To You (if) The Dollar Collapses?

Here's a disturbing thought. What's the real difference between paper money and precious metals? Other than the fact that some precious metals have real world use in industry, the only real difference is the "Oooh...Shiny!" effect and the fact it's harder to carry around. Both paper and gold are nothing other than a representation of value.

The fact that the world economy is still based on precious metals is a sign of how in touch we still are with our primitive ancestors. Gold and silver have little more real value than paper money and no one wants to admit it. A farm has more real value than a gold mine.

Already saw it. the acting is cringe worthy.

The first two were OK, although the characters were kind of wooden. Not that different than the characters in the book though really. Still, they were pretty watchable, and they made a serious effort to cram everything they could from the book in there.

The third was an epic fail. I don't know if they lost all their funding or what, but it was painful right from the get-go as they tried to pass of completely different actors as the same character. Couldn't make it through the first 30 minutes of part III.

The actors were different in all 3 movies. I thought the first was decent. I only watched 2 and 3 because my wife wanted to.

Ya'lls tin-foil hats are on to tight tonight. The USD is both world reserve currency and is controlled by the world banking cartel. If it were going to collapse, it well would have already. But it can't because it is used as the medium of global trade/exchange and demand for it remains strong (ie: healthiest leper in the colony). So while yes the US domestic economy and fiscal spending is highly dysfunctional, it is still small relative to the total balance of currency in existence. Its not going to collapse because all of the bankers are like poker players at a table that sharing the same pot of money to play with. A collapse isn't in the cards. If it does happen, it will be a "Black Swan", an unforseen event that occurs.

But its unlikely. Most likely what you are going to see is a slow steady decline in the USD's strength commiserate with the US's (and Europe) overall economic, social, and political decline. Most people will just get poorer so slowly that they don't even notice.

A farm has more real value than a gold mine.

But both have the fatal weakness of being fixed land assets and can thus be taxed and confiscated by governments or even unruly mobs when ever they feel like it. And remember we are well past the point where the voting takers outnumber the productive landowner voters.

Last edited:
The actors were different in all 3 movies. I thought the first was decent. I only watched 2 and 3 because my wife wanted to.

Really? I missed it in #2 then, they seemed to have good continuity there. The first was definitely the best though.

Not to sidetrack the OP's thread though, I think DinkyDau has it right, if the US monetary system collapses completely, 'beans and bullets'... aka barter will be all that's left.

To expect silver or gold to be worth anything when people are starving is a fallacy.

Maybe gold or silver would re-emerge as a universal (or at least regional) monetary base, but if the 'full faith and credit' of the US government fails completely, we'll be knocked back to a barter economy and the standard of living will be so low that anything beyond basic substinance will be a luxury most people won't be able to afford.

Money is always an agreed-upon medium of exchange, and in a total monetary collapse of what is essentially the world's currency, it will take a while for people to re-agree on what is actually 'money'. In the short term, if you can't eat it or get food with it (gold and silver), it will basically be useless.

Of course the usual run-up to a full collapse is hyper-inflation. That's where silver or gold would be worthwhile, but only if you recognize the next logical step and convert it to something useful to barter with after the collapse.

I do think the Euro is doomed though. It was an attempt to make a world currency without an agreement by the nations involved to stick to some basic economic policies.

They let politics drive their decisions to allow 3rd-rate countries into the 'club', and now you have a few stable governments propping-up nations that have no intention of fulfilling their responsibilities. Greece is just the most glaring example of this.

If Germany pulls out of the Euro it will be the death knell for that currency. The other first-world economies behind it won't sink their own economies to support the Greeces and the Spains. That will shore up the dollar in the short-run, but unless we get spending under control it won't help forever.

Last edited:
Ya'lls tin-foil hats are on to tight tonight. The USD is both world reserve currency and is controlled by the world banking cartel. If it were going to collapse, it well would have already. But it can't because it is used as the medium of global trade/exchange and demand for it remains strong (ie: healthiest leper in the colony). So while yes the US domestic economy and fiscal spending is highly dysfunctional, it is still small relative to the total balance of currency in existence. Its not going to collapse because all of the bankers are like poker players at a table that sharing the same pot of money to play with. A collapse isn't in the cards. If it does happen, it will be a "Black Swan", an unforseen event that occurs.

But its unlikely. Most likely what you are going to see is a slow steady decline in the USD's strength commiserate with the US's (and Europe) overall economic, social, and political decline. Most people will just get poorer so slowly that they don't even notice.

But both have the fatal weakness of being fixed land assets and can thus be taxed and confiscated by governments or even unruly mobs when ever they feel like it. And remember we are well past the point where the voting takers outnumber the productive landowner voters.
The only reason the dollar has not already collapsed is because it is the IMF reserve currency. However, there are players that are starting to question the wisdom of that, notably China. If the IMF was to change the reserve currency to something other than the dollar, and there's no reason they can't, we would see almost instant triple digit inflation and the economy would collapse practically overnight. If China ever decides it would be worth the hit they would take to there economy to destroy us, all they would need to do is call in the debt.

Back
Top Bottom