• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Will Happen To You (if) The Dollar Collapses?

That trillion dollars is enough to do us in. As for what they have to gain, much more control of the entire world. Destroying the US economy would basically reset the hierarchy of power world wide and the country that was best prepared to survive it would come out on top. The Chinese think long term and don't need to worry about winning elections. Their ruling class would not care if half their population starved to death if in 50 years they would emerge as the only superpower.
the chinese are set to be number two, a manufacturing economy that relies if goriegn trade

They tried their own self sufficient route and it crashed and burned

All im saying is the US is the US' largest threat

Last edited:
All money is a matter of belief

If you think your farm is worth x, and you convince a buyer it is, then thats what it is worth, **** hit the fan or otherwise

The shtf scenarios are entertaining but something i personally dont assign to

Besides, you only own property so.long as you can control it
The value placed on gold and silver is WAY beyond their industrial worth. The point is, they have little intrinsic value themselves. The only value scarcity creates is that of novelty. Why are certain rare weapons so highly valued when common modern ones do the job better? The only reason diamonds have high value is because the monopolies that control their mining limit how many are released onto the market.

Gold and silver are a symbol of wealth, just like paper money is. The only real difference is that their value is universally recognized and determined by the opinion of their buyers and sellers. But wait, the same is true of paper money.

The only time real value is traded for real value is barter for services or goods. That is impractical, so symbols of value are needed. All I'm saying is that gold and silver have no more real value in that context than paper money, which means their value can also collapse. If food is scarce and you offer a starving man an ounce of gold or a sandwich, he's going to take the sandwich every time. Once an economic collapse reaches a certain level, even precious metals will have no value because all that will are the necessities of life.

With all that said, precious metals would be the last symbol of wealth that would lose their value, but stockpiling them is not the solution to a hardcore SHTF situation.

I have an Artesian well on the property, it bubbles right out of the ground.
The county says it puts out over 3000 gallons an hour. (Way more than I would have thought.)

A gallon of Clorox goes a long ways when you only need 6 or 8 drops per gallon.
(58,368 drops in a gallon (I counted, lol), at 8 drops a gallon enough for 7,300 gallons of water, at 6 drops 9,730 gallons)
I have several gallons that get switched out, the older ones get used in the washer.

How many can I arm? :nono: :mod: :scared: :spy:

^^^ Wish you were closer... :cool:

All my money is in toilet paper.
When the poop hits the fan, you will need it to clean the fan ..... and maybe something else!
TP will be king.
Can't use a gold or silver bar and the worthless cash money is too small.
lol

I have a whole stack of yellow pages saved for when the TP runs out....finally found a good use for them.

Assides from being indefensible (suburbs...) one of the reasons I decided (but of course did not discuss with wife) to buy our current home is that it is just down the street from a couple acre "lake" and there is a covered over natural stream (now spring) that flows about a foot under the end of the backyard. It even bubbles up to the surface when we get a good rain.

Thing is, even though you can't live without it, water is probably the last thing to go in a social breakdown. First will be power and telecom, then gas, then water since most systems are gravity fed and are just a bunch of dumb pumps and pipes.

Gold has historically held it's value when economies collapse because there were other economies that hadn't collapsed who still valued it. It was a stable vehicle for translating 'wealth' from one monetary system to another.

But what if there isn't another functioning monetary system left?

If the US currency tanks then pretty much everything else will too. Way too many monetary systems are tied directly to ours (including China's) for them to survive if we collapse. the ones not tied to us are probably insignificant, or at best too far away to matter.

There may still be regional systems that will use gold and silver as a medium of exchange. Once you get more than about a days travel away, barter becomes prohibitively inefficient.

There could even be a national system setup after the dust settles, since they would still be a good basis for coinage. But as mentioned above, in a total collapse barter will be all that's available for a while.

Think about how inconvenient gold is as a medium of exchange right now given its current exchange rate,much less in a hyperinflation bizzarro world. Unless you are buying in bulk or whole cars, etc. do you think people are going to trade little slivers and specs of gold to pay for their groceries and other minor transactions? Even silver isn't very useful since a dime sized silver coin is going to be worth ten dollars or so. If you go with alloys of gold which only contain a percentage of Ag, how do you prevent fraud? Does everyone have to carry a tiny precision displacement scale?

The above is why I doubt currencies won't collapse and gold become coin-o-the-realm. Most likely what you will see is new and private currencies emerge, probably electronic ("paypals", bitcoin, etc.), or if things really go south, paper scripts (i hear Greek neo-dracmas have started popping up)...

Back
Top Bottom