• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What would you get

Everyone thank you so much for all the information and your insight on this. I found everyones comments very helpful. Once again thank you!

Dillon warranty may not be beat but it sure can be matched. Never once had an issue with Hornady warranty and never paid a single penny for parts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a blue vs red but some people act like dillon is the end all be all and you'll never have an issue. Just Google dillon problems and you'll get plenty, same with Hornady. In the end both are really good presses and I wouldn't hesitate to own either one so OP if you decide progressive then pick whichever you like, you can't go wrong

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

BEEN LOADING ON DILLION 550 FOR ABOUT 30 YEARS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM. EASY CALIBER CHANGE OVER AND FAIRLY SIMPLE TO LEARN! I STARTED OUT WITH RCBS ROCK CHUCKER IN 70S BUT IT WAS JUST TO TIME CONSUMING FOR ME. I HAVE LOT OF FRIENDS LOAD SINGLE STAGE AND SAY THEY GET MORE ACCURATE AMMO. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ACCURACY PROBLEMS WITH MY LOADS. HORNADY, LYMAN, LEE ,RCBS AND REDDING ALL MAKE GOOD QUALITY STUFF AS WELL! I USE DIES FROM ALL OF THEM.

Reactions: RSB
Until you start reloading and determine if you like it, I'd go with a single stage. Less to keep up with and your investment will be much lower. I loaded rifle and pistol on an RCBS Jr and a Rock chucker for about 22 years before going to a Dillon 550 (have been loading on it for nearly 25 years). The Dillon is versatile, which is why I bought it, but I learned *A LOT* while loading on a single stage all those years before.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

One must learn to walk before they can run......

Step number one. buy a speer reloading manual and read it cover to cover.
Step 2 Buy a few other manuals and read them cover to cover.

why? So you know what you are supposed to do, it will lead you in the right directions as to future equipment purchases.
And. If after reading them you change you mind, you sell the books and you know have new found knowledge and you can sell the books.

So you decided to start reloading.
Start small!!! Buy a RCBS Rock Chucker. Start loading. If you decide you are going to stick with it and expand you can't beat Dillon. I have 2 550's from the early 90's that are still running strong. One set up for large primer loading and one set up for small primer loading. If it were not for the fact that I have too many 5500 caliber changeover sets. I would have upgraded to the 650. 650 has more parts, hence more cost, more things to go wrong. Dillion no BS warranty is unmatched.

Brass cleaning. DON'T waste your money on a media polisher. I did it for decades and last year upgraded to the Franklin Arsenal wet polisher. That thing is AMAZING!!!

No matter what you decide to do. always follow the instructions. If while reloading something feels wrong, yes feels wrong. STOP! Segregate that ammo for tear down at a later date. Don't smoke while loading, don't drink alcohol while loading, don't visit with people while reloading. focus at all times.
Keep detailed notes on all your reloading activities. Lot numbers, dates, dimensions. whether conditions, gun used Etc. etc...

Good luck!!!

So once i decide on a press.... What tools, polishers, scales and so on ... are really needed. I dont want to buy things I'm never going to use but dont want to be in the situation that i need it.... What is your must have list???

If you want to turn out 1000 rounds of rifle ammo per month, every month you are going to need a lot of time with a single station or turret .
I can pretty easily turn out 170-200 rounds per hour of 380, 38 Super, 9 MM, 10 MM, or 45 acp but not anywhere near that rate on rifle ammo.
bottom line is if you are going to reload plan on spending some time in the process, if you can't be safe then don't do it.

lest see, what do you need?
depends a lot on how precise that you want your ammo to be, general purpose ammo you need a Bullet puller, case length trimmer(especially for rifle) tumbler of some type, case lube, powder measure, scale, manuals (3-4 is good), dies for each caliber, funnels, calipers, then of course components.
I am sure I missed a few things.

Back
Top Bottom