• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What would you get

Here is a starter set for $289.00
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-kits/explorer-reloading-kit-sku749014405-60599-124257.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shoppingpla-_-Explorer Reloading Kit&gdffi=4c10f1ff40354714b834b0032f76348a&gdfms=2F8C793D092E4495BF3FC5D7530ED8A2

Here is a better set for $329.00

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-kits/rock-chucker-supreme-master-kit-sku749015681-79994-164084.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shoppingpla-_-Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit&gdffi=4c10f1ff40354714b834b0032f76348a&gdfms=303BCA26B44E4284B0B2F53F5EE3374F

I would still add stuff to both sets. It would help if you gave us what calibers you are going to load for and how many per month. You need to find someone that reloads close to you that will mentor you thru this process.

Edit, after reading what you are going to load for and you said money wasn't a concern, I would get the RCBS kit for 329 and a Dillon 550. You will find out that it is capable of producing match grade 308 ammo as well as the other calibers you mentioned. Even if you buy a 550, you will always need a single stage.

I've been reloading for decades and have enjoyed loading on several different presses ... My all-time favorite is the Lee Classic Turret ... It can be set up as a single-stage or you can process a full loading ... Its strength is that it is easy to set-up, accurate and virtually fool-proof AND inexpensive ... Fast (enough), but accurate ... and accuracy is the key to good and safe loads!

If I had but one press, the Lee Classic Turret (cast iron, not aluminum) would be the one!

I have a Hornady LNL AP that will easily out-perform it for volume loading, but it is also too finicky for all but the experienced loader.

for a single stage press it's hard to beat RCBS.. I have a 48 year old Rock Chucker that is still solid as a rock..

always a good place to start... you can learn the basics with a single stage... Then if you do any type of volume move into a progressive.. There it's hard to beat the leader of the pack...Dillon I have two Dillon 550s and still use my RCBS for most Rifle work
The best advice you will ever get.

I load Rifle Match ammo only in .223, .308, and 30-06.
Loading for the AR, M1A, & M1 Garand semi-automatic's it is recommended to full length size as to not have any feed issues.
I use CCI #41 and #34 mil-spec primers to avoid slam fires
I went with the Forster Co-Ax Press, Redding Full Length Dies, Wilson Trimmer, RCBS Case Prep Center and RCBS Chargemaster.
You'll also need a
--Reloading Manual
--Case cleaner/tumbler
--Calipers, iGaging Absolute Origin on ebay for $40
--Sizing Lubricant
--Reloading trays
--RCBS Case prep bits: debur, chamfer, primer pocket uniformer, (& optional primer pocket crimp removal tool if using one-fired military brass)
--optional:
flash hole debur tool
carbide expander ball for each sizing die
Great Article: http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2013/12/reloading-basics-brass-bullets-powder.html
http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2013/12/reloading-basics-brass-bullets-powder.html
Then you have to decide on powder and bullets.
Great suppliers:
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
http://www.grafs.com/
http://www.brownells.com/

I'd get a Dillon 650 or 550 for bulk ammo and either single stage or turret type (4 hole) press to do specific jobs.

I have a Dillon Square Deal B and it's great for bulk pistol ammo. I started with a single stage O-ring type Lee press and still use it. Picked up an O-ring RCBS rock crusher, Lee turret (3 hole) and a Dillon 550 press over the years.

Those will set you back some cabbage when you consider all the extra stuff; scales, components, dies etc.

Another vote for the Lee turret press. You can use it as the turret or as a single function.
You'd be surprised how fast you can crank out rounds on one.

I've since moved to a progressive which is even faster. Don't recommend starting with one.

Have had most of the presses mentioned, however most problems with progressive units are operator error, been there, done that,(still have that experience from time to time) have had presses with small metal guide supports on the side of the press after rugged use the weak metal strength side supports flare out or concave in. Like the heavier presses that are "O" style, more stable
and durable. Heavier built..

Buy whatever you like, 'HOWEVER FOR ME AFTER 45 YEARS OF LOADING, ITS SIMPLE IF IT AIN"T BIG BLUE IT JUST WILL NOT DO"!!!

just a simple suggestion to consider...

Ive been using a lee single for years, but do low quantities .30.06, .303, .308, .300. If you go single, buy an elecrtronic powder dispenser. I spend more time measuring out powder than anything else in the process.

As far as cleaning, i bought a harbor freight tumler and stainless steel pins media. Brass comes out much cleaner than standard vibrating media

One must learn to walk before they can run......

Step number one. buy a speer reloading manual and read it cover to cover.
Step 2 Buy a few other manuals and read them cover to cover.

why? So you know what you are supposed to do, it will lead you in the right directions as to future equipment purchases.
And. If after reading them you change you mind, you sell the books and you know have new found knowledge and you can sell the books.

So you decided to start reloading.
Start small!!! Buy a RCBS Rock Chucker. Start loading. If you decide you are going to stick with it and expand you can't beat Dillon. I have 2 550's from the early 90's that are still running strong. One set up for large primer loading and one set up for small primer loading. If it were not for the fact that I have too many 5500 caliber changeover sets. I would have upgraded to the 650. 650 has more parts, hence more cost, more things to go wrong. Dillion no BS warranty is unmatched.

Brass cleaning. DON'T waste your money on a media polisher. I did it for decades and last year upgraded to the Franklin Arsenal wet polisher. That thing is AMAZING!!!

No matter what you decide to do. always follow the instructions. If while reloading something feels wrong, yes feels wrong. STOP! Segregate that ammo for tear down at a later date. Don't smoke while loading, don't drink alcohol while loading, don't visit with people while reloading. focus at all times.
Keep detailed notes on all your reloading activities. Lot numbers, dates, dimensions. whether conditions, gun used Etc. etc...

Good luck!!!

Totally agree with this. I think that one of the biggest mistakes new reloaders make is to start out with any progressive.

I have a Dillion, and love it, think it's the best. But I learned on a single stage, which I still have and use for load development.

I know that cranking out thousands of shells and blasting away is the American Way, but I sincerely urge you to buy a good single stage, even a turret press, and start with that. You many decide that your time is better spent working and buying ammo. Reloading is a complex equation, and I encourage you to go slowly.

Back
Top Bottom