• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What would you guys think of a 10.5 inch 458 socom upper?

TRoland

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
223   0
Reaction score
im thinking about jumping on one of these beasts just to try it out. I mean it’s one of those urges.... I feel like I can’t live without it lol! For real though I’m ordering it Friday! I know the ammo is expensive. I know it’s powerful. That’s about all I know about it tho.

I think ouch and you better wear earplugs under your ear muffs. But that would be totally awsome

I have a 458 in a 16" bbl. The recoil and sound aren't anything special. My wife has shot it several times with hot loaded 300 grain bullets and 500 grain subs. Kicks less than a 12 ga auto loader. I reload for mine, so it gets the cost down a little.

500 grain subs
FullSizeR.jpg

300 gr Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator
FullSizeR1.jpg

300 gr ballistic specialty
FullSizeR2.jpg
458 1.jpg

I thought about getting one of the wilson combat offerings but I just can't justify it with the cost of ammunition and the rifle only holding 9 rounds in a 20 round mag.

I strongly suggest you go to the Teppo Jutsu website (http://teppojutsu.com/) as they are the original developers of the 458 Socom. They have awesome materials, load data, builds, field tests, and more. Also, check out KAK's 458 Socom offerings ($800 for a complete 10.5" or 16" upper with BCG, flash can, and stainless barrel; awesome barrel quality), and Tromix (the original manufacturer of the 458 Socom in conjunction with Teppo Jutsu). All great resources for a super fun gun! Also, reloading can really help reduce the cost of ammo, and KAK has a 458 Socom reloading kit with a Redding die and 100 pieces of Starline brass to get you started. I've also heard that pmags tend to have feeding issues (never had any myself) but that Lancer L5 mags seem to work really well (maybe someone with these mags could comment...?) If you want some good youtube reviews, IV8888, Sootch00, Mr Guns and Gear, and TY6 Vids all have awesome videos (some even with slo-mo shots) on the 458 Socom. I seem to remember that IV8888 has a hog hunt video where they took a hog with the 458 Socom.

Back
Top Bottom