• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's a good fish when you don't like fish?

Orange Roughy

When I was young, I couldn't stand the taste of trout or any taste the lake/ocean fish.

Grandpa fixed up some Orange Roughy and I ate it up. Good stuff.

Tilapia, cod, flounder, perch, red snapper, sole and blackfish are good alternatives as well - very light flavor. I would also say salmon. I make a brown sugar crusted salmon that would make you forget you're eating fish at all and I'll be damned if someone tries to tell me it's not healthy LOL

Salmon, snapper, tuna, Swordfish halibut are pretty full flavored. Your best bet is light, flaky, white fish.

Cod is good, it’ll absorb the flavors of whatever you cook it with. season it with salt & pepper, bake with lemon juice, olive oil, capers. Throw some Asparagus/kalamata olives in there if you wanna get freaky.

Enough lemon juice will cover any smell. Cook it well enough so the oils cook out. 20 minutes on 375 - 400 for a 1-inch thick piece. Dover Sole is good with the same preparation, but it can be expensive.

I just had my 49th birthday Monday. 49 years of unhealthy living/eating are catching up w/ me. So I have been trying to eat healthier as of late. Last night I pan seared some swordfish and couldn't eat it. I don't like fish unless it's battered and fried. What is a non fishy fish for those of us trying to do a little better?
Swordfish is delicious, kinda firm like a steak. Try grilling it next time. My MIL was like you. I grilled her swordfish one time and she loved it.

I have some tuna steaks to try next. I can't do salmon though and I have tried it everywhere. I'll keep trying until I find something that I'll eat. The roommate loved the swordfish, so it didn't go to waste!!

Back
Top Bottom