• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's considered rough seas (pics of fish added)

2-4 is actually quite mild. Small craft advisory starts 6 to 12. 53' is commercial and you wont even need ur sea legs.

take a sea sickness pill. dont drink alcohol. If they let u go below deck, that's even better. if you are sitting below deck near water line, you wont feel a thing.

It's like a pendulum, the further u move away from the waterline, the more the movement and potential for sea sickness.

A lot of people think it's cool to ride on top of the tuna tower...those are the ones that chums the sea first

2 to 4 feet in a 53 footer is nothing. However, in my experience their forecast for this can be just as unreliable as a weather forecast.

I've had some bad experiences on "calm" seas. The last three times I went off shore the day started great and ended with dangerously bad conditions. Neptune wants to kill my ass. I'm never going beyond sight of land again.

Have a great trip! :becky:

The captain called my boss late yesterday and he moved the trip to Sunday due to the seas. I have no idea what weather thing he uses but it looks very fishable to me from what I've seen. Now he's cut it back to a 8 hour trip. Kinda sucks, but he's paying for the trip (first world problems). Just kind of a let down, had my hopes up for a fun weekend now it will be full of driving. Sunday we'll fish then drive back after that so we can be back at work on Monday. Tried to talk him back into going down today to fish tomorrow but he won't do it.

Sorry to hear that, since I know there are a lot of older(I am 41) guys on here. I was wondering if anyone as they aged started get motion sick way easier? I can’t even swing with my kids as I feel bad within less than 20 seconds. When I was young I was all about roller coasters, I have been on boats from 3yr old. I assume it has to do with the fluid in the ears that gives you your equilibrium.

Sea band makes gum I give my kids for their 1hr smokin hot bus ride home, and the bands for your wrists helped me when I was on a boat a couple years ago. If Dramamine makes you sleepy you can try the above. Sorry your trip got cut short, but on a boat that big 2-4ft should not be an issue

Thanks. The bands don't work on me. I don't mind just chumming the waters and fishing. If I feel it coming on I chug some water to make it flow, and go on about my day. Dramamine works, but since I'll be day drinking on Saturday before we go fishing I'm not to sure I should mix the two.

2 to 4 feet in a 53 footer is nothing. However, in my experience their forecast for this can be just as unreliable as a weather forecast.

I've had some bad experiences on "calm" seas. The last three times I went off shore the day started great and ended with dangerously bad conditions. Neptune wants to kill my ass. I'm never going beyond sight of land again.

Have a great trip! :becky:
Fear.jpg

I'll get some pics up in a little bit. My phone is about to bite the big one, which is where all of my pics are. The man paying for the trip cut it short. Only 5 out of 7 of us could fish. The seas were a solid 4 to 6 with 8+ rollers in there. We probably would of been drier if we would of been fishing from in the water. I have never been so wet fishing in a boat in my life. But we caught a decent haul. Only Amber and Snapper (can't remember the type but not red). We left before the grouper fishing part. We were out for 6 hours. I had fun and only chummed the waters a few of times. One guy when he got out went and started kissing the ground and said never again.

Did 10 to 12's on a 35' boat to go out fishing. I would not suggest it. I went from
sick as a dog to fearing for my life and back a few time.
BTW, pre departure report said 3 to 4's.

Back
Top Bottom