• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's everyones fascination with shooting at 1000+yards?

Bypass

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
One nation under GOD Father of Jesus my Savior.
146   0
Reaction score
Oh wait I know......

People watch too many movies. The odds of ever taking a shoot over three hundred yards for anyone is pretty slim and yes I have made 1000 yard shots with iron sights on a machine gun in training but never have I made or attempted a 1000+ yard shot in a real world situation. Why? because it is a waste of ammo. Wait until the target gets closer. And If you are attempting 1000+ yard shots on game/wildlife you are an asshole who is going to wound or injure game.

My rant for today.

unless you are shooting Talibans.
I personally wouldn't shoot anyone just because they are carrying a firearm at that range. Unless I could clearly Identify the enemy by them firing at me. I would not open fire just because they are armed.

I see all of these videos of guys walking along hills in Afghanistan and snipers taking pot shots at them. But the snipers have no idea which side their target is on and if they are friend or foe. They are just killing everyone with a gun.

IMG_0472.JPG

Sportsmanship for competitive long range shooters? So they can say they did it? Or, because they want to be the "American Sniper"?

And If you are attempting 1000+ yard shots on game/wildlife you are an asshole who is going to wound or injure game.
^^^^^^This I 100% agree with.

I like shooting 600.
600 is a reasonable distance. But you are not likely too see that hunting game and I wouldn't take the shot at that range. Hunting humans intent to kill you then that is about the range in the desert people will start taking pot shots. So yeah it is a reasonable range. Simply seeing a target at 1000+ then being able to identify the target as a foe is a whole nother animal.

Back
Top Bottom