• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's everyones fascination with shooting at 1000+yards?

My largest whitetail was taken in Kansas at 372 yards...ranged with my Leica. Out west there are places where you CAN'T get closer than 350 to 500 yds without spooking the game. I crawled 200 yds to get to my spot. I set up with my shooting sticks and was perfectly comfortable and confident in taking a shot from 450 yards in....because I had practiced at even longer distances with my set-up.

Having said that, I agree that hunters taking shots at 1000 yds are unethical. Too many factors....especially wind...make those shots risky.
I'd say it's only unethical if you are unable, both you and gun, to make that shot. If you are a Chris Kyle type of shooter I'd say go for it. However most (like 99%) can't come close especially if they are even a little excited.

If you have your tags and permits, I'll let you shoot any deer that cross the range. Happens now and then, along with coyotes and, now and then, a bobcat.
I've always found it amazing how many deer walk out into a hot range with rounds whizzing over their heads, stare at you, eat, and just slowly move along.

That just happened my last range trip to Tenn. A family of deer go walking in front of my target.
I find it truly amazing. Go out to hunt. Scent protection. Absolute silence. Limited movement.

Go to a range, light it the **** up, deer walk up and stare at you.

Yep, conditioning I guess.

I have also seen a big buck in Kansas lying in 2 feet high weeds a couple of hundred yards from a remote dirt road lay his head down to hide his antlers from a passing truck.

Back
Top Bottom