• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's everyones fascination with shooting at 1000+yards?

In a war zone with typical ROE's, the enemy is the enemy. If a Sniper spots someone that is confirmed to be the enemy, you engage (if that's the mission for the day). He has chosen a side and it's time for him to reap the consequences.

That's part of the job of being a Sniper, but not everyone can hack it. It's basically a preemptive strike. Waiting for a confirmed enemy to engage before you engage him is exactly how you get comrades killed and wars lost.
So just kill everybody with a weapon who looks like he might be a bad guy? Sorry bro that's what I'm talking about. And that is how you start wars. You know I love you man but I disagree with killing people that aren't actively trying to kill me.

In a war zone with typical ROE's, the enemy is the enemy. If a Sniper spots someone that is confirmed to be the enemy, you engage (if that's the mission for the day). He has chosen a side and it's time for him to reap the consequences.

That's part of the job of being a Sniper, but not everyone can hack it. It's basically a preemptive strike. Waiting for a confirmed enemy to engage before you engage him is exactly how you get comrades killed and wars lost.
And typical ROEs There are no typical ROEs when fighting insurgents. Everyone looks the same. And everyone carries a gun.

So just kill everybody with a weapon who looks like he might be a bad guy? Sorry bro that's what I'm talking about. And that is how you start wars. You know I love you man but I disagree with killing people that aren't actively trying to kill me.
Uh hey man, that guy over there has a gun. Why is he just standing there like that? Take him down.

Wait ! False alarm. Another one of those damn UN peace keepers

Uh hey man, that guy over there has a gun. Why is he just standing there like that? Take him down.

Wait ! False alarm. Another one of those damn UN peace keepers
Yeah they were a lot of times we got rolled up on in Iraq and I was pulling the shell safety on the 50 BMG and nothing happened. Just some more guys who looked an awful lot like bad guys but they never pulled a trigger. Within 100 yards a truck rolled up and guys were jumping out every which way running with ak-47s and I thought oh **** here we go again and they were damn sure in my sights but nothing happens. Seems like every time someone actually opened fire on us it was from a position where they were somewhat hidden and you would have to seriously look for them or if they had the numbers which happened maybe one time they would be out in the open coming at you. But mostly it was sniper fire and from a hidden location. I was never in Afghanistan so I don't know everything there is to know about it but I don't kill people who aren't trying to kill me.

Yeah they were a lot of times we got rolled up on in Iraq and I was pulling the shell safety on the 50 BMG and nothing happened. Just some more guys who looked an awful lot like bad guys but they never pulled a trigger. Within 100 yards a truck rolled up and guys were jumping out every which way running with ak-47s and I thought oh **** here we go again and they were damn sure in my sights but nothing happens. Seems like every time someone actually opened fire on us it was from a position where they were somewhat hidden and you would have to seriously look for them or if they had the numbers which happened maybe one time they would be out in the open coming at you. But mostly it was sniper fire and from a hidden location. I was never in Afghanistan so I don't know everything there is to know about it but I don't kill people who aren't trying to kill me.
Yeah that ain't like watching a WWII movie and a Nazi comes running over the hill. Those sneaky bastards take pot shots then duck back in.

Hell I cannot tell a Saudi from an Iraqi from a Syrian .

Yeah that ain't like watching a WWII movie and a Nazi comes running over the hill. Those sneaky bastards take pot shots then duck back in.

Hell I cannot tell a Saudi from an Iraqi from a Syrian .
Yep everyone looks the same and in civilian clothes nonetheless.

All this long range hunting debate reminds me of a guys signature I used to see over on another forum:

"Taking game at 600+ yards...affirmation of your shooting skills...or an indictment of your hunting prowess?"

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

cmshoot cmshoot is the system. I trust his word on the subject over anyone else on ODT.

the system is broke, my last deployment Our ROE was we couldn't engage until we were engaged, now our Customers' ROE were a little more relaxed but not too much better, that's one of the reasons why I decided to retire. I also believe Bypass Bypass is/was Mil and is using his skills on you guys.

Back
Top Bottom