• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's everyones fascination with shooting at 1000+yards?

The experience of hitting in the black at 600yds the first time with an old K31 with clamp-on scope mount and $175 scope I liken to the first time I did a motorcycle track day and was able to drag my knee through a corner.

Both times giggled like a school girl...
I never managed to drag a knee but track days are awesome. Yamaha used to do free demo days on their brand new bikes - I did an unintentional wheelie the first lap on an R1 and later discovered that section of Road Atlanta is called wheelie hill. I much preferred the R6 being able to wring it out and still feel safe. Also the FZ1 was sensational doing 150mph sitting upright with barely any wind buffering your helmet.

It's a skill, and ya can't have too many. Shooting is a mental sport; shooting at 1,000yds + will make you a better shooter at 500-600yds. When you figure out that you can hit reliably at 1k, everything else under that becomes easier mentally.

Different folks have different reasons. Most don't think they can do it.....until they do!

I've run my .300WinMag to 2,000yds and my .338 Lapua to 2,500yds.

It's a fallacy that you cannot idea your target as friend or foe at 1,000yds. At 1,000yds with a 5-25x NF I can see the bolts hanging the target. Do you really think our military Snipers are just winging shots at unknown figures in the distance and HOPING that they're bad guys? You must not have a very high opinion of militRy Snipers.
Just the videos I've seen of them shooting at non engaged targets walking hillsides. I have a high opinion of all US military personnel. But shooting camels and calling for air support or artillery on an unknown target village irks me as well.

Just the videos I've seen of them shooting at non engaged targets walking hillsides. I have a high opinion of all US military personnel. But shooting camels and calling for air support or artillery on an unknown target village irks me as well.

What is a "non-engaged" target? Once you shoot at him, he's engaged!

That's a target that is not currently engaged by anybody until you engage him.:wacko: Basically someone who looks like he needs a 50 caliber hole in his head. It's complicated. You just have to trust the system.

In a war zone with typical ROE's, the enemy is the enemy. If a Sniper spots someone that is confirmed to be the enemy, you engage (if that's the mission for the day). He has chosen a side and it's time for him to reap the consequences.

I'm getting all preachy. I should just stick with my original post and let it be.
I know this is old but At 1200 yards with my night force 5 * 25 atacr I can see perfectly hits on steel targets that are only 1 inch wide. I can tell you if it's a squirrel or a rabbit next to the target. So it is possible to identify you target that far out with good glass. And not to much mirage. Now the crappy stuff many hunters by for there rifles that would be impossible.

That's a target that is not currently engaged by anybody until you engage him.:wacko: Basically someone who looks like he needs a 50 caliber hole in his head. It's complicated. You just have to trust the system.
cmshoot cmshoot is the system. I trust his word on the subject over anyone else on ODT.

Back
Top Bottom