• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's on the grill tonight?

I guess I've just gotten lucky. I always put it on around midnight, which is when I go to bed anyways and it's always ready around 4 or so the next day. I see all these guys talking about getting at 3 and 4 AM and I just don't understand it.
The last brisket I did on a offset smoker (pics below) I put it on at 10 pm and I got up every 2 hours to check on it because it was under 50 degrees outside and I had a dozen people coming for lunch the next day. I wanted to keep the temperature consistent, so I kept checking the temp and spritzing it with apple juice. When I checked it at 4 am, I accidentally locked the door when I went outside. I wanted to add a stick of wood and reached into the wood bag and got stung by a scorpion. Had to knock on my bedroom window to wake up my wife to let me in. Then I had to get meat tenderizer to put on the scorpion sting.
First brisket I did on my pellet smoker was like heaven in comparison.

7560BA56-6946-4DBC-9523-58DAE847F43E.jpeg
90EEEB5C-5035-4F82-8EB8-F3A64CED0465.jpeg

I'm three hours 44 minutes in and it's hit 150 so not quite at the "stall" but I'm going to paper wrap it, back on the smoker and let it ride until 7 p.m. or it hits 200. Planning to let it rest on the counter until it drops to about 170-180 then put in the Yeti to rest for about 8-10 hours.

Edit: Hit the stall (160) now running the temp up 25 degrees to 250 for a about 3 hours trying to reach that 200 degree point.
A pork butt I smoked this week stalled @ 170 for hours - Texas crutch didn't move it after 1.5 hours - longing for bed at 10:30pm, I removed it, finished to 203 degrees on the kitchen oven.
It was delicious the next day....sometimes, like many things that have become hobbies of many, I think we overthink it.......

Sent from my BV4900Pro using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom