• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's on the grill tonight?

Disappointing results. Overcooked I think. Good smoke ring and flavor, but this was "select" grade and didn't have good marbling. I think I ran it too low and too slow if that's even possible. It's a little tough, not what I'm shooting for.

Is injection or brining a possible solution? Maybe shorter cook on 250 or 275?

Attachments

• 20220820_071921.jpg
    20220820_071921.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 15
Disappointing results. Overcooked I think. Good smoke ring and flavor, but this was "select" grade and didn't have good marbling. I think I ran it too low and too slow if that's even possible. It's a little tough, not what I'm shooting for.

Is injection or brining a possible solution? Maybe shorter cook on 250 or 275?
Damn, it looks good. Absolutely nothing wrong with injecting. To be honest, I think it being select was the issue. Lack of fat equals lack of flavor. That’s why I stay away from 100% grass fed beef, no marbling. Now, if you have dry aged grass fed beef, that’s a different story altogether.

Next time, try a choice or prime brisket. You might be surprised at how inexpensive prime can be at Costco. Also, I never pull mine before it hits 190 degrees, sometimes I let it get to 203-205. That gives it ample time to allow the heat to break down the connective tissues and imparts far more flavor. An easy way to check for doneness is to poke it with your finger. You should see it wobble like Jell-o. This is a great sign. Should be ready for the faux cambro by then.

Damn, it looks good. Absolutely nothing wrong with injecting. To be honest, I think it being select was the issue. Lack of fat equals lack of flavor. That’s why I stay away from 100% grass fed beef, no marbling. Now, if you have dry aged grass fed beef, that’s a different story altogether.

Next time, try a choice or prime brisket. You might be surprised at how inexpensive prime can be at Costco. Also, I never pull mine before it hits 190 degrees, sometimes I let it get to 203-205. That gives it ample time to allow the heat to break down the connective tissues and imparts far more flavor. An easy way to check for doneness is to poke it with your finger. You should see it wobble like Jell-o. This is a great sign. Should be ready for the faux cambro by then.
Yep. No "jiggle-jiggle" so maybe it should have cooked longer or allowed to reach a higher temp. I'll try that next time.

Noticed too that Sam's Club has Prime and Choice cuts that while may be 5x Kroger's per pd ($10.99), it would likely produce a better result for tenderness.

Yea, no expert here but looks undercooked. I pull mine at 195*~ and let rest for minimum of 3-4 hrs.
It costs me more but I only buy the meat I’m smoking from Costco or Publix ( or a butcher when I can afford it). I’ve had better outcomes that way.

Yea, no expert here but looks undercooked. I pull mine at 195*~ and let rest for minimum of 3-4 hrs.
It costs me more but I only buy the meat I’m smoking from Costco or Publix ( or a butcher when I can afford it). I’ve had better outcomes that way.
A few years ago, I was in a Publix meat department looking at briskets. I mentioned to the butcher that his choice grade brisket seemed a little high At $7.99/lb. He said “Okay, how about $2.99/lb?” I told him I’d take 2 at that price, so he pulled my 2 selections and marked them at $2.99/lb. I’ve been back to that store many times and haven’t seen him since.

Yep. No "jiggle-jiggle" so maybe it should have cooked longer or allowed to reach a higher temp. I'll try that next time.

Noticed too that Sam's Club has Prime and Choice cuts that while may be 5x Kroger's per pd ($10.99), it would likely produce a better result for tenderness.
Definitely underdone then. It looked good though, sans a little too pink. Hit up Sam’s Club next time and give it a go.

Agree.
I never pull a brisket before it reaches at least 200 internal. A brisket is a tough cut of meat...you never want to rush the cook.
The last one I did, I cooked at 200 all night...bumped it up to 225 after wrap.

Some guidelines.....

A few years ago, I was in a Publix meat department looking at briskets. I mentioned to the butcher that his choice grade brisket seemed a little high At $7.99/lb. He said “Okay, how about $2.99/lb?” I told him I’d take 2 at that price, so he pulled my 2 selections and marked them at $2.99/lb. I’ve been back to that store many times and haven’t seen him since.
Wow! I’ve had the butchers there split things up for me and give me different cuts but haven’t ever had them give me a deal like that. That’s was a stroke of good luck. I just never have good luck (or taste as good) with Kroger’s meats. Could be I don’t know how to pick good too!

Back
Top Bottom