• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whats the best way to long term store an AR

This is what leaving a pistol in a closet looks like for after a couple of years. Stored in a plastic tote, in a box with other household items. I just cleaned this up for a guy at work, I also did a shotgun that was stored the same way about a year ago for another co-worker, but it was just leaning up in a closet, not in a box or tote. It looked as bad. I kind of agree a grease would be better than oil, as the oils don't seem to last unless you at least wipe them down every few months.

The pistol cleaned up well, but has permanent pitting, same with the shot gun I did.

I could only imagine what one stored in an attic would look like after two years. Then again, it's probably relative to your homes general climate and insulation efficiency. I would still search for a grease than just oiling it.

093ddeaa0ca4150116d2a634b558d29e.jpg

da926a5045b5c217a1c2a635aebc197b.jpg

Clean/Oil/grease all good, but another way is to wrap it in a silicone cloth, 1 gallon bag, vacuum seal or push out the air with a couple of silica desiccants and oxygen absorbers and it is ready to use years later. No oxygen, no moisture, no rust.

For a long gun, Brownells has some long seal-able bags, although one might have to remove the pistol grip to use them.

Clean/Oil/grease all good, but another way is to wrap it in a silicone cloth, 1 gallon bag, vacuum seal or push out the air with a couple of silica desiccants and oxygen absorbers and it is ready to use years later. No oxygen, no moisture, no rust.

For a long gun, Brownells has some long seal-able bags, although one might have to remove the pistol grip to use them.

Likes food saver type product, but for guns? I guess the same concept applies to the vacuum sealed "survivalist" ammo packs?

V.C.I. gun bags(Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor), Amazon has the 12" x 52" for $12.50 & up, Brownell's should also have them. Not crazy about the attic storage, if it's not a finished living space(climate controlled). When it's 95+ degrees outside, temps could reach 150 degrees, possibly damaging any gaskets/seals, not to mention the extreme humidity.

Good plan here. Grease it up cover all metal parts - vacuum seal it in large waterproof bag and put a bunch of dessicnats in there. Or....see if you have a friend you trust with a safe.

Where are you going for two years?

V.C.I. gun bags(Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor), Amazon has the 12" x 52" for $12.5 & up, Brownell's should also have them. Not crazy about the attic storage, if it's not a finished living space(climate controlled). When it's 95+ degrees outside, temps could reach 150 degrees, possibly damaging any gaskets/seals, not to mention the extreme humidity.

Yeah that too- find a better place other than the attic. Or cover it with a ton of insulation.

Likes food saver type product, but for guns? I guess the same concept applies to the vacuum sealed "survivalist" ammo packs?
I have also put a vacuum pump on a glued up 8" PVC pipe tube, pulled a vacuum and then refilled with nitrogen, just to see how it worked. We put in a couple of desiccants and Oxygen absorbers, regardless. My buddy (a welder, so plenty of Nitrogen) buried it about 8 years ago: I am sure he will let me know if it did not work. In any event, getting as much air (with attendant moisture) out of the storage container as practical is the key to using dessicants and O2 absorbers. My friend filled up the empty space with ammo.

Back
Top Bottom