• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whats the best way to long term store an AR

IMG_4809.PNG

Pelican Case & lots of oil n grease

This is what leaving a pistol in a closet looks like for after a couple of years. Stored in a plastic tote, in a box with other household items. I just cleaned this up for a guy at work, I also did a shotgun that was stored the same way about a year ago for another co-worker, but it was just leaning up in a closet, not in a box or tote. It looked as bad. I kind of agree a grease would be better than oil, as the oils don't seem to last unless you at least wipe them down every few months.

The pistol cleaned up well, but has permanent pitting, same with the shot gun I did.

I could only imagine what one stored in an attic would look like after two years. Then again, it's probably relative to your homes general climate and insulation efficiency. I would still search for a grease than just oiling it.

093ddeaa0ca4150116d2a634b558d29e.jpg

da926a5045b5c217a1c2a635aebc197b.jpg
I buy this if by "other household items" you mean water and steel wool. Otherwise, I call horse****. That is NOT the result of simply sitting in a closet for a couple years.

I buy this if by "other household items" you mean water and steel wool. Otherwise, I call horse****. That is NOT the result of simply sitting in a closet for a couple years.
An unwarranted and unnecessary comment. What is shown is common in non-air conditioned homes, especially in tropical climates.

I stored a few guns in a very small walk-in closet for about 3 years with low air flow. The closet was opened maybe once I year when I was in town. Some were unpackaged standing up, one in a 4wheeler hardcase, some boxed. The closet was packed with other crap, so it wasn't just guns hanging around. All were very lightly (if at all) oiled. They were fine, no rust or anything crazy.

An unwarranted and unnecessary comment. What is shown is common in non-air conditioned homes, especially in tropical climates.
I'm from Florida, grew up mostly in south ga. I have guns that spent 30 years in a garage there that don't look anywhere near as bad as that sig. Rust that accumulates over time does not have that bright orange color like that. You can call my comments unwarranted, but I'm not the one on here trying to convince people that storing their guns in a closet is going to ruin them. The story about what happened to that Sig is simply not true.

I'm from Florida, grew up mostly in south ga. I have guns that spent 30 years in a garage there that don't look anywhere near as bad as that sig. Rust that accumulates over time does not have that bright orange color like that. You can call my comments unwarranted, but I'm not the one on here trying to convince people that storing their guns in a closet is going to ruin them. The story about what happened to that Sig is simply not true.

Who is trying to convince anyone of anything? I have known the co-worker that pistol belongs to for 6 years. He knows I tinker on guns and asked for help with it and told me the details I listed. He has zero reason to lie about that pistol. He simply came to me asking if I could clean it up for him and recommendation on how to store it moving forward.

I have no clue what "specific" items were in the tote with it, nor do I care to ask. I simply advised him to store it elsewhere, and somewhere drier than the tote in his closet. Also, to wipe it down every few months since he obviously doesn't shoot it. This is also the second firearm I had to cleanup rust from that was stored in a closet for a few years. The other was a shotgun a female co-worker had that she inherited. Got the shotgun, put it in the corner of her closet and left it there. Cleaning out her closet a few months ago, she noticed it was rusting pretty bad, and asked if I could help clean it up. I see no reason why 2 different people would lie about something as simple as storing a gun in a closet :wacko:

I shared what I had seen from long term storage and potential negative side effects in hopes of helping OP.

Sorry this doesn't line up with your life's experience :very_drunk:

It is ok, some people literally know everything.

Back
Top Bottom