• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whats the best way to long term store an AR

No BS, this is how I would store an AR if it was going to be long term..

Remove the handguard, buttstock and grip. Take the selector detent and spring and put them somewhere safe with the furniture you just removed. Next, separate the upper and lower.

After that, find some PVC pipe in the smallest diameter that the upper and lower can fit into and then cut it just long enough to fit the two halves. Glue a cap on one end of the PVC and let it dry.

Next, stand the PVC up, slide the two halves in and then fill it up with the cheapest motor oil you can find. A few of jugs of Supertech should do the trick.

Last, you glue a PVC cap on the other end and let it dry.

Now you can store that SOB anywhere you want, for as many years as you want and it WILL NOT RUST.

It sounds like snakeoil, but strikehold works really well.
It's a dry lubricant. I took a wire wheel to an old steel toolbox about 5 or 6 years ago. Got it to the white (It was the kind that normally would flash rust in 48 hours). Rubbed it down with this stuff liberally and the last time I saw it, there was one small spot with very minor surface rust where I believe I just missed it when I applied it. I coat everything with it followed by oil and have never had a problem with rust.

No BS, this is how I would store an AR if it was going to be long term..

Remove the handguard, buttstock and grip. Take the selector detent and spring and put them somewhere safe with the furniture you just removed. Next, separate the upper and lower.

After that, find some PVC pipe in the smallest diameter that the upper and lower can fit into and then cut it just long enough to fit the two halves. Glue a cap on one end of the PVC and let it dry.

Next, stand the PVC up, slide the two halves in and then fill it up with the cheapest motor oil you can find. A few of jugs of Supertech should do the trick.

Last, you glue a PVC cap on the other end and let it dry.

Now you can store that SOB anywhere you want, for as many years as you want and it WILL NOT RUST.

Winner.

The Garands returned by the Greek government were stored in chassis grease, just the cheap stuff you use on balljoints and such.

They slathered the entire gun with it, including the stock, and most even had the bore pumped full of it.

Messy to clean up, but much easier than cosmoline. I saw many of these rifles, none had any rust that I saw. I doubt they had climate controlled storage in the Greek armories.

Take it apart and use grease in one of the sealable bags previously mentioned. Then put it in a silicone sock and try to find a better place than the attic.

Back
Top Bottom