• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whats the best way to long term store an AR

IMG_0747.GIF

Of course I would still spray the bolt carrier group and the fire control group down with a light coat of spray lubricant. Just to give it light coat. You never can be to careful when doing long term storage.

Cheaper than dirt has chemically treated plastic storage bags. You could probably find them somewhere else as well. Here is the link to at least show you what I am talking about.https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/pro...e-one-bag-6-mil-thick-flap-closure-bag-198.do

For the OP's suggestion of maybe two years, I would spray it with an aerosol oil inside and out. Pick your favorite oil. I'm not big on the fancy stuff. Any real gun oil should do. Over apply it, put in one of these bags, and find a better placed than the attic. I would think that would be good for at least 10 years.

Any place HVAC controlled would be best.

I don't even think you need grease for under six or seven years.

But of course, if you're actually gonna put it in the attic in Georgia, you probably should greese it heavy.

I would think buried in the yard in glued PVC pipe, and inside the bag would be better then the attic. Been wanting to do a similar test.

Long term gun storage in a foam lined case is not recommended. Oil and other solvents will melt the foam over time and you will end up with a mess.

Just being in an environment that HAS those present will do the same. I had some seldom used networking tools in their foam lined cases stored in my garage. Opened them recently and the foam had deteriorated into a goo that was well stuck to all the surfaces. Luckily I was able to clean it all off with WD40 and a lot of scrubbing.

Back
Top Bottom