• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's The Georgia Code Covering Use of Force For an Attacking Dog on Public Land or the Roadway?

That depends.

In the metro area where people dress up their dogs and push them around in strollers, probably.
In less populated areas where some people make a living raising cattle, pigs, chickens and dogs are just dogs, probably not.

When I was a kid growing up on the farm, any dog caught running livestock of any kind was shot on site......pedigree, families idea of "he's like one of our children" not withstanding. Cops and courts were never involved, it was the law of the land (and still is by the way). Don't want your dog shot, keep him away from the property/livestock of others.
Or dress him up....LOL

upload_2018-6-2_20-10-25.png

That's clear and it was the unwritten law and likely written law when I grew up on the farm.

Walking my small Maltese mix (6 lbs.) and my Husky (35 lbs) on leases on the road in my subdivision, we neared the home that owns two Pit Bulls in pens, one was on the driveway near the house no lease, staring away from me in the street with my dogs. I stepped to the far side of the road trying to lock down the retractile leases when it turned it's head and sprinted towards us barking, hair on back raised, fangs showing as it neared the curb, I eased my Kahr .380 Micro Compact from it's holster and drew on the dog as it stepped into the street tense and firm. I was yelling at it to stop and shouted no but it kept walking towards us.

At that moment the home owner began yelling at his dog to get back. Once the dog was back on his property I lowered my pistol and held it behind me. Once the dog was under full control of the owner I slid the pistol in my pants pocket.

View attachment 1649284

That's clear and it was the unwritten law and likely written law when I grew up on the farm.

Walking my small Maltese mix (6 lbs.) and my Husky (35 lbs) on leases on the road in my subdivision, we neared the home that owns two Pit Bulls in pens, one was on the driveway near the house no lease, staring away from me in the street with my dogs. I stepped to the far side of the road trying to lock down the retractile leases when it turned it's head and sprinted towards us barking, hair on back raised, fangs showing as it neared the curb, I eased my Kahr .380 Micro Compact from it's holster and drew on the dog as it stepped into the street tense and firm. I was yelling at it to stop and shouted no but it kept walking towards us.

At that moment the home owner began yelling at his dog to get back. Once the dog was back on his property I lowered my pistol and held it behind me. Once the dog was under full control of the owner I slid the pistol in my pants pocket.
Sounds like you handled it perfectly. :yo:

Sounds like you handled it perfectly. :yo:

That part but it gets worse.

The home owner and owner of the unleashed Pit Bull approached me and claimed his dog was good with children and other dogs and his dog would not attack my dogs.

The short of it was that's fine, the dog did obey his commands but he needed to control his dog. As I was prepared to part ways he smiled and said he saw that big gun I had (micro-compact Kahr .380 ACP) in my pocket at this point and said he had a big gun too.

Baiting me?

I told him that's my small gun and my big gun is at the house. I told him if his dog came into the street and attack my dogs I would shoot it.

He said his dogs were like his children and if I shot his dog he would shoot me...

I asked him if he was conveying a threat, he repeated himself. I told him I'd make a record of that. He told me to go call the police.

I sent a memo to the HOA of the incident for record.

Back
Top Bottom