• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whats up with battle worn finsish?

I have a Winchester I inherited from my grandfather. When he was a young man, he bought it at an estate sale almost a hundred years ago. The rifle had a hole crudely drilled through the buttstock where it was hung from a peg on the wall of a rancher's line shack, the bluing has long since turned brown and the silver blade front sight is tarnished. It's the patina of stories and memories that make that rifle interesting and unique

Fixed it for ya! :)

Ooohhh.......ya got me there.......

I spend more time over how a shooter performs than what they perform with. Seems a bit more important to me. It's America....if someone wants to put some finish on their gun, I don't give 2 squats. As long as it's a good gun underneath and the owner runs it well. I need someone to back me up, I'll take a pro with a "battleworn" finish gun over an internet warrior with his black piece all day.

BTW, along the lines of the same importance, I don't carry if a shooter prefers Chevy/Ford/Dodge, a 9mm/.40/.45, and a Glock/1911. There's the "meh" for ya. Sorry about stuff that matters and not what color(s) someone likes on their gun.

Ooohhh.......ya got me there.......

I spend more time over how a shooter performs than what they perform with. Seems a bit more important to me. It's America....if someone wants to put some finish on their gun, I don't give 2 squats. As long as it's a good gun underneath and the owner runs it well. I need someone to back me up, I'll take a pro with a "battleworn" finish gun over an internet warrior with his black piece all day.

I agree,
I don't really care what people do to their guns. I started this thread to see what other people though about stripping the finish off a gun just to look used. I personally would not do it but doesn't bother me. I would rather have anyone with any weapon no mater what the hell it looks like (hot pink for all I care) i would take someone with practice and experience than someone with a spotless safe queen that shots 100 rounds a year.

Sounds like a bunch of high schoolers, does it personally affect you then who cares what someone does with their own firearm in the appearance category

Not at all. It is funny when it goes in the classifieds as custom. I am not talking about a well done professional finish here. I am talking about a steel wool job.

Lets see it! pick a good one now. Not a pawn shop Hi-point. Do a how to! that should get some people going.

I was at a local custom shop recently and they had a monolithic AR upper that was done in a worn burnt bronze. Reminded me of the helmets of the Spartans in "300".

I have a 14" Wilson Combat Rem870 that I had done in burnt bronze and black, but the burnt bronze cake out more gold than I liked. Was seriously considering having the receiver/mag tube done in the same worn burnt bronze. This thread pretty much clinched it for me; that's what I'm gonna do.

Back
Top Bottom