• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whats up with battle worn finsish?

This one is 100 this year . . . born in 1917 . . .

Colt 1917-005.jpg

I didn't read all 7 pages, but I remember Antique stores & furniture makers stressing the the finish on brand new items to make them look old. This happened mostly because that what was/is in style, but sometimes it was intended to separate a fool from more of his money.

The full size one was my fathers duty gun when he was with DeKalb police in the 60s

And he Carried the model 42 on his ankle for almost 20 years
The holster wore away some of the metal
The shiny parts on the snubby are where some of the metal is gone

5a4ca2d36d243ac7f79d47be0fdea608.jpg
dd07da86180f692f2c16345e154ca058.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cause it looks bad ass! Like @Radar363 said...."Bro, do you even operate?"

Here's mine! I have several in pristine condition.....I love wearing these guns out though and I put them through it!

This one's Cerakoted by GA Firing line.

View attachment 1099709

This one I rattle can'd!

View attachment 1099714
Man! That rattle can camo job is SWEEEEET! I think I need to pick up some Krylon and try that out!

I figure if I **** it up, I'll just hit it with some brake cleaner and start over.

They do the same thing (worn) with all sorts of things like furniture, repro tin signs, musical instruments, etc. Most of the time when I see someone with a factory worn musical instrument, they are beginners. Not always, but most of the time. If you just play the thing long enough it will get the desired effect. Just ask Willie.

View attachment 1099914
I think they call those guitars "factory relics" or something like that. I never understood it.

Back when I played, I tried to keep my guitars as nice as possible.

I feel about "BW" like I feel about Fast and Furious when they buy a ragged out truck, clear coat the "patina", and then ask $30,000 for it.

Sure it's your gun/truck, do what you want with it, but don't expect to get "like new" prices for it.

You want to make if look like battle worn, then sell it like battle worn.

And personally, most of the Rust- Oleum crapola jobs look like ****.

Back
Top Bottom