• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's your dream hunting AR build?

Man that's sweet!

Thanks, it's purpose built for what I wanted for hunting. It's not necessarily what I'd want for any other purpose, but it fits what I'm doing. I tried to go with a poly lower but I never got one that I liked well enough, I did go with the hybrid ATI upper and so far I like it for what it is. At the time the Hybrid striped lower wasn't available, heck I only got the upper because of "Who ya Know".

FullSizeRender (21).jpg
300 blackout 10 1/2" barrel topped with a Leupold VX 6 1-6x24 Firedot scope. Just got my stamp in to SBR. Playing with ammo to find what round to use

I busted one with my 3-gun AR in October, the morning of the Cherokee match. Pencil 16" barrel, 1-4X Vortex scope; muzzle brake, 55 gr. SP handloads. But I wouldn't recommend that to someone that isn't calm, and an astute observer of their own skill at shot placement.

Went 10 feet; fell over dead. Perfect shot at 50 yards or so.

I wanted to hunt before the match, and didn't want to carry extra gear. I was also willing to let 'em walk if I didn't get the right shot.

Otherwise there's no way I'd be using a .223. Too little margin for error.

An AR10 is a different story.

Very nice write up and info....thanks for that!

Keep me in mind if your
Buddy gets ahold of another
Demo (and feels like selling it to a total stranger.)haha.

You cannot go wrong with Nightforce. Astronomy-grade optics. Which they ought to be-- they cost more than real nice amateur telescopes-- decked out.

But really, they're phenomenal. And eventually you won't regret the money, though it hurts for a while. : )

The NXS is heavy for sure though.

How did that ammo perform, wound channel, etc. have heard good things on the Barnes 110 gr. tac tx bullets
They performed great. I've been using Barnes TSX for several years now.
I shot the pig in the spine and there was a 1.5" section of its vertebrae missing when I quartered it. I was utterly impressed.

I'm working on a 6.8 SBR upper. I'm patiently waiting on the ARP barrels, but if they don't show up in the next couple of months as forecasted, I'll probably go with a Bison Armory upper.

I plan to run thermal on it at night for yotes/hogs and run a Leupold VXR 3-9x on it during the day for deer. I think the VXR glass combined with the firedot is pretty tough to beat in that price range. I already own a VXR 1.5-4x. It's great in low light, and the firedot is awesome with fast moving hogs and yotes.

Back
Top Bottom