• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's your favorite gun tool or gadget?

Pretty much all I need....

images.mentalfloss.com_sites_default_files_w_17.png_f5dc676fedf11b2a4fb05ba331612cdc.png

www.saratoga.com_horse_racing_blog_wp_content_uploads_sites_38_2016_07_hammer.jpg

I lay a level across the top of the receiver. Then I set the level on the barrel. Remove level from receiver to continue once the level on the barrel is set.
But it doesn't look like there is a level spot on the receiver. This is the case on almost any rifle without a rail on it. There is also no guarantee a rail is level.

But it doesn't look like there is a level spot on the receiver. This is the case on almost any rifle without a rail on it. There is also no guarantee a rail is level.
Most my rifles are CZ so it's not a problem for me. On other rifles, I go off the installed base. If there is defective machining on the receiver or the base, yep, I probably wouldn't catch it. What's your method? I'm by no means a gunsmith but I have been known to play Barbies with my rifles and this has been an effective way to get optics set for me. I'm open to try something different though if you've got an alternative.

I just use a box cutter.. Use the side of the blade to hold detent/spring in place while I slide in the pin.
Now, if I could just find all those I launched before discovering this method...

I used to do this as well. You can also go to Home Depot/ Lowes and get a clevis pin for under $2 and it works wonderfully as well.
  • Slide in clevis pin through the "ears" that hold the pivot pin
  • drop in spring and detent
  • push down with punch
  • rotate clevis pin to act as slave pin
  • push clevis pin out with pivot pin until detent slips into the pivot pin

I used to do this as well. You can also go to Home Depot/ Lowes and get a clevis pin for under $2 and it works wonderfully as well.
  • Slide in clevis pin through the "ears" that hold the pivot pin
  • drop in spring and detent
  • push down with punch
  • rotate clevis pin to act as slave pin
  • push clevis pin out with pivot pin until detent slips into the pivot pin
Thanks.. I'll grab one and try it on my next build.

Or the scope cap. I had an $800 scope that the reticle was clearly canted in comparison to the scope cap. It had turrets under the cap and they were closer to level. Since then, just level the rifle and use my eye, then test at the range.

Back
Top Bottom