• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's your favorite/new sword?

My favorite big fish rod is an Echo BAG quickshot 9wt. It’s is fast for fiberglass but doesn’t have that broomstick feeling of today’s graphite fly rods. I have an Allen Atlas reel on it and it is an absolute cannon with the airflo intermediate line on it.

For little fish I have a Blue halo 3wt. The blanks were a gift and I wrapped the guides and made the handle and reel seat insert out of an old cedar tree that doubled as a fence post off the farm. It’s a slower traditional action which I really enjoy when breamming or chasing trout. It’ll handle size 6 streamers pretty well too. Guaranteed to make that little fish feel like a hog and always puts a smile on my face. It has a special place for me as it was my first build. I hope when I pass it down to my little fishing buddies that it’ll bring them as much enjoyment as I have gotten.

Here is a pic of the little guy.
35DD552F-682C-4B39-B57C-F95486D74447.jpeg
DB5C54AA-3436-4793-A2D6-9FC065E202BF.jpeg

My go to rig is my Shimano stradic 3000 with a St. Croix mojo bass rod. 7.5 ft medium light action. I spool it with 10 lb power pro and run a 10 ft mono top shot, usually 8 lbs. The mono disappears in the water and the rod is the most sensitive I have ever used. Lots of fun. I have a second setup just like it expect it's a st Croix premier rod. It's not quite as sensitive but still lots of fun. I'm primary a bass fisherman, usually under 6lbs.

Back
Top Bottom