• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wheel weights?

Hardcast45

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
296   1
Reaction score
Totally new to reloading and casting but reading as much as I can. Looking around for local wheel weights I realize it's more difficult to source them here in lawrenceville, Buford, Johns creek than I thought.

Is eBay, rotometals the way to go?

Would be for casting 325gr 480 ruger wfngc and 400gr

Believe wheel weights water dropped would be hard enough and prevent leading when sized. I guess that's a second question, if I'm on the money for the bnh for 480 ruger 1100-1300fps

Water dropped wheel weights should be fine if properly sized and using a quality lube like carnuba red. I've about had it with tire shops. They think they're selling gold; you'll find over half to be zinc and steel. As you know, it doesn't take much zinc to ruin a batch of alloy. If you're not already a member, I strongly recommend you check out castboolits forum. You can get clean, fluxed wheel weight ingots for under 1.25 per pound shipped in their classifieds section. Paying any more than 30 to 70 cents a pound for local scrap lead is madness. Paying 3 bucks a pound on rotometals is also a bad deal.

I work at a tire shop and its still easier for me to use range scrap...too much steel and zinc to dig through...I just stick to picking up shotgun slugs and i get about 50lbs in 30 minutes.

Castboolits.com has helped me in the past, good website to spend some time reading.

I started going down the casting bullets rabbit hole... before I knew it I was putting together a list for casting and making my own power too....i eventually came to my senses and stick to reloading, plenty of opportunity for my inner nerd there. ;)

I still dig the boolits forum, tons of info and wisdom there!

I started going down the casting bullets rabbit hole... before I knew it I was putting together a list for casting and making my own power too....i eventually came to my senses and stick to reloading, plenty of opportunity for my inner nerd there. ;)

I still dig the boolits forum, tons of info and wisdom there!

You can surely get nerd deep in it.....I know I am..

Key is to go down the rathole and know where to stop. Some guys on castboolits have over 100 molds. That's some kinda compulsive issues. If you keep it to a few calibers (in my case one), it will pay for itself VERY quickly if you shoot often. Think 1 to 2 cents per bullet instead of 9 to 13 cents each. RCBS bottom pour with a PID is something I wouldn't do without at this point. My other nerdy pleasure has been powdercoating:

i.imgur.com_jfD5RYI.jpg

Key is to go down the rathole and know where to stop. Some guys on castboolits have over 100 molds. That's some kinda compulsive issues. If you keep it to a few calibers (in my case one), it will pay for itself VERY quickly if you shoot often. Think 1 to 2 cents per bullet instead of 9 to 13 cents each. RCBS bottom pour with a PID is something I wouldn't do without at this point. My other nerdy pleasure has been powdercoating:

i.imgur.com_jfD5RYI.jpg
VERY NICE

Back
Top Bottom